Walsall Council are once again partnering with Robertson Bell in the recruitment of a Strategic Financial Planning Manager on a permanent basis. Our Finance team is an enabling function, providing solutions, financial insight and intelligence to support and constructively challenge the organisation to help achieve its objectives, underpinned by strong financial management. Due to a member of staff retiring, we are now looking to recruit this key role.
Strategic Planning provides support to members and activities underpinned by the Section 151 Officer, coordinates the revenue and capital budgeting process, medium term financial plan and reporting to senior management and members. Reporting into the Head of Finance, the post will be responsible for leading an evolving team to embrace and help develop our excellent strategic approach in support of our members, strategic management team and Section 151 Officer.
Walsall is situated within the West Midlands and is one of four Local Authorities comprising the Black Country. It contains six urban district centres: Walsall Town Centre lies at the heart of the Borough, surrounded by Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Darlaston and Willenhall. The Borough covers 40sq miles and is bisected by the M6 motorway.
We’re changing the way the council works so that we can provide an even better customer experience, increase staff satisfaction, and improve our service performance. It’s all about achieving the very best for our colleagues, customers and communities. We have a strong focus on continuous development for all our staff with a learning environment and culture built around our “Grow your Own” succession strategy.
- Lead and manage the provision of an effective and efficient finance financial reporting function, including the delivery of a Medium Term Financial Outlook
- Operate as a champion to ensure resources, and financial arrangements are robust and support the council’s strategic objectives and operational objectives are met
- Direct contribution to policy formation and amendment of existing council policies and frameworks – Medium Term Financial Framework, Capital Strategy, etc
- Horizon scanning and planning for change over period of up to and over 12 months in relation to financial planning and strategy
- Support the Head of Finance to deliver a legally balanced budget including preparing and delivering presentations to members, trade unions and officers
- Undertaking an annual assessment of compliance, identifying gaps and producing an action plan to address these, advising the council on improvement actions
- Prepare consolidated corporate financial monitoring reports and be the lead in all the Council’s value for money arrangements
- Provision of advice and guidance on policies, procedures within remit of the role including on legislative, Code of Practice and best practice guidance.
The successful candidate will have:
- A full CCAB or equivalent qualification.
- Experience of business intelligence tools, financial modelling, options appraisal and analytical techniques
- Extensive experience of strategic and operational planning including the budget process and financial reporting
- Substantial ability to design, understand and maintain complex financial information and models
- Substantial leadership and management experience including proven experience in leading and motivating a team
- Experience of working in a political environment or other organisation at board level
- Knowledge of current local Government financial policy and statutory regulation
- Experience in successfully supporting change management initiatives in a complex organisation
The closing date for applications is Sunday 3rd March, with first-stage interviews due to take place the week commencing 11th March. Applications will be under continuous review before the closing date, so please submit your CV to our exclusive search agent Robertson Bell ASAP to avoid disappointment.