Croydon has faced significant challenges in recent years, in terms of the council’s financial position of course the pandemic challenge faced by every local authority.
This is a very exciting time to join Croydon as we move from the recovery and improvement phases to the transformational phase of our journey to bring the Council back to financial sustainability.
You will be helping to rebuild the council, its finances, its governance, its culture and its services. The financial challenge is steep, but the government has noted our strong progress, with a new Executive Mayor and Cabinet, a recently appointed Chief Executive and a new Corporate Management Team, who all share a commitment to the task ahead and putting Croydon’s people first.
Croydon is a fantastic place; a vital part of London’s growth story with a strong identity in its own right and this is a rare chance to make genuine change in a place of great opportunity. What we do together over the next three years will help shape the future of one of London’s most diverse and exciting boroughs.
As Head of Strategic Finance (Chief Accountant), you will be supporting the Director of Finance to ensure the council’s annual accounts are produced on time meet the required legislative standards, and maintain an open and positive relationship with the external auditor. Key responsibilities include:
- Lead on the consolidation and submission of external reporting requirements such as revenue estimate, revenue outturn and capital returns.
- Ensure that the Council’s Treasury Management Strategy Statement, Capital Investment Strategy and Minimum Revenue Provision (MRP) Policy Statement linked with capital programme financing and the Council’s investments and borrowing are shown correctly in the Council’s accounts.
- Provide financial direction and reporting on the Council’s capital programme and financing, working closely with the Director of Commercial Investment.
- Lead on financial performance reporting for revenue and capital including monitoring the Collection Fund, government grants and use of reserves.
- Ensure the council’s final accounts are produced on time and meet the required legislative standards.
To be suitable for the role you need to be a qualified accountant (CCAB, CIMA or equivalent) or have significant proven experience of providing strategic direction and leadership in a local authority finance role. You will have substantial experience of successfully managing financial year-end processes in a large local authority, successfully delivering Statements of Accounts and supporting notes that achieved an unqualified audit opinion by the statutory deadline. You will also have experience of developing, implementing or leading financial control processes and systems.
For more information about the role please click the apply button or for a confidential discussion contact Jack Murphy at Allen Lane – email@example.com or 07921 335 786.
To apply, please submit your CV alongside a supporting statement (no more than 2 pages) stating why you are interested in applying, what you can bring to this role and highlighting your relevant experience and suitability.
The closing date is Tuesday 2nd January 2024 at 23:59pm.
Croydon Council is an inclusive employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Subject to business needs, we will be pleased to consider applications from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working, whereby staff attend the workplace for part of their working week and work from home, or elsewhere, remotely for the rest of the time.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the advertised role.
Croydon Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.