About the role
There are several Principal Finance opportunities within the Directorate Finance Team. The Council is seeking to appoint determined and ambitious individuals to the posts of Principal Finance Manager, Grade 9 within the Financial Management service. The service plays a critical role in helping the Council to meet its challenging savings targets whilst supporting the delivery of the City’s exciting vision.
Opportunity to Modernise Financial Management and Drive Business Change
Manchester City Council are embarking on its Future Shape programme to modernise its operating model and the way that services are delivered. A key strand to this programme is the replacement of its aging Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP) with a modern and fit for purpose ERP for integrated finance, HR and procurement management. As a result, several exciting opportunities exist that will play leading roles in the Directorates Finance Team and new ERP Finance Project Team.
ERP - Principal Finance Manager
The post also provides the opportunity and challenge of driving finance business change and to be part of the council’s cross-functional ERP programme team. The positions will be key to assessing, managing and realising successful business change across finance during planning, procurement, implementation and business as usual. The successful candidates will:
- Provide support and advice to system change stakeholders and promote strong financial governance.
- Prepare and present reports to Management Teams.
- Provide advice and support on system change.
Directorate Finance - Principal Finance Manager
There are also several opportunities within the Directorate Finance Team. Successful applicants will work closely with Heads of Service and Managers to ensure budgets accurately reflect their service areas, ensure the Council is able to provide accurate forecasts, and to identify risks and mitigations. They will also provide financial modelling and comprehensive advice to support the delivery of plans across service areas. Finally, they will be responsible for closedown of accounts at year end and attendance at meetings with senior officers together with completion of statutory returns and reports. As a senior member of the Financial Management Team, the post holder will actively contribute to the successful development of the service, its people and its performance.
For all roles, you must be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of local government finance and will hold a CCAB qualification. We are looking for candidates that:
- Have excellent communication skills including relaying financial information to non-financial managers and experience of building effective working relationships.
- Effectively lead, manage and develop a team of staff.
- Provide financial advice and support to the delivery of key capital and revenue projects and support the development of innovative financial models.
- Personal commitment to continuous self-development and service improvement.