Our client is an international humanitarian Charity, that work tirelessly to ease poverty, hunger and suffering in some of the poorest countries around the world. This worthwhile cause is looking for a Financial Controller who will oversee the management of the Group’s statutory accounts and the processes, policies and procedures that underpin the financial control framework.
This role will be responsible for taking a lead role in ongoing financial improvement work, bringing professional financial leadership to the Financial Accounts Team and the wider organisation.
The role will be responsible for ensuring a sound system of internal financial control is in place, statutory financial reporting, treasury management, cash flow forecasting, AP/AR and management of the Shared Service Centre relationship.
Detailed responsibilities of the Financial Controller include;
- Management and operation of financial control framework including maintenance of the policies and procedures that support its effective operation
- Attendance at the Finance and Audit Committee
- Leading the Financial Accounts Team of 4
- Producing the annual statutory accounts and leading the statutory audit process
- Managing efficient and effective treasury management including robust and timely cash flow forecasting
- Supervising the controls and processes that support effective management of the balance sheet including balance sheet reconciliations
- Managing good quality accounts payable and accounts receivable functions
- Leading on the delivery of a complete and timely month end process
- Managing tax for the charity and trading subsidiary including VAT returns and Gift Aid
- Maintaining the integrity of the Chart of Accounts and the supporting accounting transactions, ensuring compliance and consistency
- Ensuring that income recognition and fund accounting are properly applied according to best practice in line with SORP requirements
- Providing financial accounting advice to colleagues across the organisation in line with the requirement of the Charity SORP
- Managing the relationship and output of the Shared Service Centre
- Finance transformation support including process improvement and training
In order to apply, candidates need to be able to demonstrate;
- CCAB qualified accountant status
- Experience gained in a financial control function of a registered charity
- Strong financial accounting skills: ability to plan and manage all aspects of month end and year end processes, detailed knowledge of Charity SORP and FRS102
- Management experience of leading a Finance team in a busy environment
- Demonstrable experience of automating financial processes
This is an excellent role that offers variety and challenge in well established, growing charity.