You will be joining a Finance Department which has gone through a significant amount of change to modernise the function and one which strongly believes in continuous improvement. The force has invested in the development of its finance team and supports the CIPFA ‘Achieving Finance Excellence in Policing’ programme.
We are seeking to appoint a finance professional to the role of Head of Financial Accounting & Tax, who will support the Assistant Director of Finance & Procurement to provide leadership, influence, vision, and advice across our businesses, whilst adding value by acting as critical advisor on key financial policy decisions.
Leading the delivery of the financial accounts and tax, in liaison with the Office of Police & Crime Commissioner, HMRC and our external auditors, you will also be responsible for developing and maintaining appropriate financial accounting policies and ensuring the financial accounting arrangements and systems are fit for purpose. In addition, you will ensure that our Treasury Management Strategy is implemented and optimised in line with agreed strategy.
- Lead on the production and reporting of the year-end statutory accounts and Whole Government Accounts, for both WMP and the consolidated group accounts
- Asset manage circa. £220m and VAT recovery of £25m
- Lead on introduction of the financial reporting system, working with the systems accountant to deliver this
- Drive the long-term performance and delivery of the Force’s strategies and performance objectives
- Ensure that we are compliant with HMRC requirements and review and sign off primary reconciliations and VAT returns
- Develop and maintain appropriate financial accounting policies and ensure compliance
- Lead on the introduction and roll out of new finance processes whilst identifying efficiencies
- Take responsibility for the integrity of financial controls and information, including oversight of month end processes
- Provide advice and guidance on the effective and consistent implementation of systems, policies, processes, and tools
- Lead the treasury and banking arrangements. Ensure reliable cash forecasting, optimise borrowing and investing activities, justify spending through liaising with colleagues across the force
- Build and maintain effective and open relationships across the Force in terms of financial and tax planning and reporting that meets quality standards
- Manage a team of financial accountants, (including VAT Accountant, Systems Accountant, Financial Accountant) and Accounting Assistants
- Own the financial risk register for the team. Qualifications – External
- You must be CCAB qualified (full member of ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA) or equivalent
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent
- Significant post qualification experience
- Substantial recent experience at managerial level of financial accounting roles
- Experience of owning and producing statutory financial statements in a Local Government/Police context
- In depth knowledge of accounting systems
- Significant experience of advising and guiding business decisions within corporate governance frameworks in order to ensure compliance and managing risks
- Substantial evidence of effective people management skills
- Experience of overseeing modernisation and improvement to functions
- Broad experience and knowledge in all relevant statutory, regulatory, and professional accounting standards and tax legislation.
- Analytical and judgement skills – ability to assimilate and convey complex and challenging information to a variety of audiences
- Planning and organisational skills – able to produce and deliver the statutory accounts
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to explain things clearly in an appropriate style and tone
- Ability to challenge operationally and strategically with a professional approach
- Driven to deliver with enthusiasm – highly motivated and proactive approach to working including a strong ability to meet deadlines and deliver quality work
- Ability to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals – business focused and flexible when meeting operational needs and expectations
- Strong focus on customer relationship skills.
Hours & Location:
Currently the department is operating an agile/hybrid work policy. The role is based at Police Headquarters, Lloyd House in Birmingham city centre. You will work a 36.5 hour week. There is a requirement to work flexibly at all times with regard to workloads and priorities, and a requirement to travel to other locations to build collaborative relationships.
Successful applicants will be required to pass Recruitment Vetting and Counter Terrorism Clearance scrutiny prior to commencing their role, this will include a full background & financial disclosure as part of the vetting process.
Appointment to this role will be dependent upon successfully medical checks, which may include a drugs test and if required a fitness test.
Interviews are planned for W/C 8th August 2022.
If you have any questions regarding the role please contact Accountancy Assistant Director, Davinder Jagpal on firstname.lastname@example.org or Accountancy Head of Financial Accounting and Tax, Ravi Lakhani on email@example.com
West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader - the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of our commitment we operate a ‘Disability Confident Interview Scheme’ - all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be offered an interview.
It is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practicable or appropriate to interview all disabled people who meet the essential criteria for the job. For example: in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal, and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. In these circumstances, the employer could select the candidates who best meet the essential criteria for the job, as they would do for non-disabled applicants.
"Diversity and Inclusion Vision: Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities"