- A competitive salary
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Access to an occupational pension scheme
- A range of employee benefits including; healthcare, public transport and gym memberships discount
We are seeking a CCAB qualified accountant to bring knowledge and enthusiasm to our financial management service.
We are looking for someone with a strong accounting knowledge, the ability to interpret and analyse complex legislation, a robust understanding of financial processes and procedures and the ability to undertake financial modelling, all of which are needed to provide support, advice and guidance to Council services. Initially you will be working in the Adults & Health team, but you can be deployed anywhere within the financial management team.
The successful applicant will possess excellent communication skills and be able to work both independently and as part of a wider team. This role will also involve management of staff, so leadership and management skills are also essential.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Advising Service Directors, Service Manager and operational Budget Holders on the implementation of corporate financial initiatives, budget processes & procedure rules.
- Working closely with directorate and external contacts in order to produce robust estimates of spend based on modelling of demand and the understanding of legislation and other external factors.
- Provision of professional financial advice on service issues including policy developments or changes in service delivery. To attend appropriate meetings and working groups.
- Coordination with the Group Finance Manager, and liaison with accountancy and operational managers, on the production of both revenue and capital estimates and final accounts, in accordance with statutory and best practice requirements, whilst ensuring auditable systems and procedures are in place to demonstrate adherence to policies.
- Managing and develop staff through individual performance appraisal in such a way as to encourage innovation.
- Ensuring accurate and timely submission of grant claims to protect/maximise the financial position of the Council as well as ensuring the accurate and timely provision of information to other agencies including Central Government, CIPFA, etc.
- Assisting the Group Finance Manager to secure proper financial administration across the Council including optimisation of the Council’s resources.
- Deputising in the absence of the Group Finance Manager including attendance at Financial Management Team meetings, Directorate Management Team meetings and external meetings.
For an informal discussion please contact Angela Nixon, Group Finance Manager – Adults & Health on 07782140712 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or Caroline Carter – Service Manager (Financial Management email@example.com or 01924 306131.
Want to Know More?
If you would like to know more about the role, the recruitment process or working for Wakefield Council feel free to contact Angela Nixon on 07782140712E or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All correspondence regarding interviews and application progress will be sent via the email address you have registered on this site with.
Please add the email addresses below to your contacts or safe-senders list/check your junk mail folder to ensure that you don't miss important information regarding your application.
Wakefield Council is wholly committed to ensuring children and vulnerable adults are fully supported and safe. We are dedicated to the safeguarding of all children and vulnerable adults whilst promoting their welfare. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this responsibility.
In accordance with the Council’s Probation Procedure this post is subject to a 6-month Probationary Period.
Having a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve helps us to achieve the best outcomes for all. We encourage applications from everyone and actively seek to ensure that everyone feels included in the workplace so that we can make the most of our differences.
Application closing date: 17 July 2022.