Here at West Midlands Police Finance team, we are committed to providing a first-class Business Partnering service to the leadership teams across the second largest metropolitan police force in the country. We work with our leadership teams to manage and be accountable for the delivery of service within a £700m revenue budget, to plan an exciting capital programme and to help them face the strategic challenges policing must deal with today, and in the future.
We are looking to appoint an experienced and qualified finance professional to an exciting Finance Business Partnering role to support the Operational Policing and Enabling Department Portfolios. In this key role you will provide leadership, influence, vision, financial challenge, support, and advice across a Portfolio with a budget up to £150m adding value by providing insightful financial analysis whilst acting as a critical advisor on key financial decisions.
You should be a credible, finance professional who as a Finance Business Partner, will develop strong, professional relationships working closely with senior leaders, Department Heads, and other Business Partners across the West Midlands Police force.
You will be responsible for the maintenance of strong financial control and governance, and play a critical role in performance management, capital and resource planning and the development of financial strategy with the portfolio.
• Provide specialist support, challenge, and advice on all financial matters to the leadership teams within your Portfolio, build strong relationships built on trust and advise on complex strategic business matters including the development of robust business cases and process change.
• Provide financial leadership to all key strategic and commercial decision making and planning, budgeting, and forecasting processes, to ensure that WMP achieves value for money and maximises value from the services it delivers.
• Ensure that financial results are clearly communicated, by providing timely analysis regarding actual results and forecasts, linking operational performance to financial data and proposing options to ensure that the force achieves its operational and strategic goals.
• Lead the annual budget setting process and longer-term financial planning, co-ordinating those responsible for providing inputs and ensuring that all are aware of continuous improvement targets, pressures, and messages.
• Manage and develop a team of Assistant Finance Business Partners to deliver outstanding service across portfolios.
• You must be CCAB qualified (a full member of ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA) or equivalent.
• Have significant experience in financial management, budgeting, reporting, and providing advice in a Business Partnering role.
• Have significant experience of advising and guiding business decisions within corporate governance frameworks to ensure compliance and manage risks.
• Experience and knowledge of all relevant statutory, regulatory, and professional accounting standards.
• Demonstrable analytical and judgement skills with the ability to analyse diverse sets of information.
• Ability to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals – be business focused and flexible when meeting operational needs and expectations.
• Ability to challenge operationally and strategically with a professional approach.
• Possess planning and organisational skills – able to formulate and implement long term plans.
Successful applicants will be required to pass Recruitment Vetting and Counter Terrorism Clearance scrutiny prior to commencing their role, this will include a full background & financial disclosure as part of the vetting process.
Appointment to this role will be dependent upon successfully medical checks, which may include a drugs test and if required a fitness test.
To be held in late July/early August
Hours & Location:
The role is based at Lloyd House in Birmingham city centre, and you will work a 36.5 hour week. Current working arrangements are more agile with a combination of office based and agile working. There is a requirement to work flexibly at all times with regard to workloads and priorities, and a requirement to travel to other locations to build collaborative relationships with other teams you are involved with.
If you have any other questions regarding the role, please contact Head of Finance Business Partnering, Keith Trivett, at firstname.lastname@example.org
West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader - the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of our commitment we operate a ‘Disability Confident Interview Scheme’ - all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be offered an interview.
It is important to note that there may be occasions where it is not practicable or appropriate to interview all disabled people who meet the essential criteria for the job. For example: in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. In these circumstances, the employer could select the candidates who best meet the essential criteria for the job, as they would do for non-disabled applicants.
"Diversity and Inclusion Vision: Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities"