Housing Project Accountant
Salary: £46,662 - £51,540
Job Reference: mkc/TP/238/341
Contract Type: Permanent
Working Hours: 37
Closing Date: 22 May, 2022
Location: Civic Offices, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
The finance team at Milton Keynes Council takes an active lead in all decisions in the council, supporting a number of directors, external partners and projects in order to ensure we are giving the best value to our residents and businesses.
We are excited to launch recruitment for a Housing Project Accountant within the finance team reporting to the Housing Finance Manager. The finance team works in close collaboration with all services which allows us to get involved with lots of different projects. Every day is different and provides lots of opportunities to work with the services to deliver value for money and improve services to the residents of MK.
We play a key role in supporting significant procurements, monitoring of large contracts, developing future budgets based on demand analysis and presenting robust business cases for change. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with colleagues across MKC as well as external colleagues from other local authorities, government departments and other external partners.
The Council has an ambitious regeneration and new build Council house programme and we are now looking for a Housing Project Accountant to support this programme, assess projects for VFM , affordability and provide advice and challenge on the HRA budget areas.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, inquisitive and passionate individual who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money. You will be part of a dynamic, energised finance team who are integral to wider council services.
In return, we offer flexible working arrangements, training and development opportunities (we are AAT employer accredited and have a number of the team studying for professional qualifications as well as many making use of our excellent in-house training programmes), including career progression and most importantly the chance to help shape the future of our growing city.
The role offers hybrid working, where flexible working requests will be considered.
- Responsible for HRA budget monitoring, forecasting and control the 30 year business plan
- Support the business to develop business cases with appropriate challenge
- Support the funding of the Housing capital programme
- Be involved in the annual rent setting process, including service charges across all tenures
- Year-end closure of accounts, including liaison with auditors
- Work closely with other members of the wider Finance Team to help shape the Finance functions and processes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified accountant (CCAB) with relevant post-qualification experience and evidence of ongoing CPD
- Experience of financial planning, control, and reporting in a complex organisation which should include some experience in working in a public sector organisation or in the housing sector
- Ability to explain complicated and technical information in a manner that can be understood by others
- Deliver solutions to complex challenges within Housing Services.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. Here at Milton Keynes Council, we pride ourselves on modelling our values, that were co-created with colleague. We are dedicated, respectful and collaborative as we strive every day to make a difference to local people and the community we serve. If you share our values and want to experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.