Assistant Accountant – Corporate Services
Band 7; Salary £22,571 - £24,920 per annum subject to 1.75% pay award being agreed
CIPFA Penna is excited to be partnering with the finance team at Melton Borough Council on the recruitment of an Assistant Accountant post. The council is based in a beautiful location in Melton Mowbray, close to a train station and all major roads leading to each of the counties across the East Midlands, which makes it a brilliant location for commuting, when this required. Other critical factors include family friendly policies and flexible working, making the role potentially attractive not only to local candidates but also to those who may live outside of the average commuting distance. As has always been forward thinking in actively offering flexible working from home arrangements which is currently being reviewed as part of its new ‘way we work’ strategy to further develop this as a long-term solution which also fits with the Councils climate change agenda moving forward.
The Council is looking for an enthusiastic individual who is keen to learn and develop their finance skills in the public sector. The role plays a key part within the team to help ensure the smooth running and professional provision of financial services. Melton is keen to develop its workforce so will be offering training support for the successful candidate to progress with a professional finance qualification.
The role will report to the Senior Management Accountant and have no line management responsibilities.
The key aspects of the role are:
The Assistant Accountant will be required to provide accountancy support to the finance team al affairs of the service as well as take the lead on some specialist areas such as:
- Support Senior Accountant & Financial Accountant with day to day administration cover of budgets
- Maintain cashbook plus supporting records and reconcile to the ledger
- Maintain and reconcile the General Bank Account to supporting records
- To provide cover for the day to day treasury management arrangements
- Oversee and be the key contact for day to day Council's Insurance arrangements
- Deliver high standards of administration to ensure appropriate records are maintained
- Assist in the production of reports, data and other management information including processing monthly recharges
- Maintain and develop electronic information systems of the team including data bases and filing structures using corporate systems alongside the core finance system
- Respond to and follow up on customer enquiries through post, phone, email and face to face in line with service standards set for the area
- Monitor and report on information/activities relevant to the service area and provide relevant management information
- Support the maintenance on the Councils finance system
- AAT Qualified
- Developed experience of working in a financial environment for a minimum of 1 to 2 years
- Knowledge and understanding of financial procedures and practices
The role enjoys a fantastic benefits package aimed at enhancing the work-life balance and flexible working:
- 37h per week with regular working from home and flexible working hours (no core hours)
- Occupational pension scheme based on average career earnings with the employer contributing 27.2% (with a 6.5% contribution from the employee)
- 24 days annual leave (rising to 29 after 5 years’ service) plus additional 3 days at Christmas
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Discounted Leisure Centre membership
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Occupational Health services
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free eye test
- Free parking
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Aaron Thomas at Aaron.Thomas@penna.com or 07709 505403.
Closing date: Friday 28th January 2022 at 23:59
To apply please select the Apply Now button below.
Please follow the link below for the Job Description.