How you'll make a difference
Are you looking for a new challenge as a technical finance subject matter expert, to lead on accounting for the council’s main funding sources? We are looking for an experienced accountant to sit within the Corporate Finance team alongside the Capital, Closedown and Treasury Management Accountants who will have a key responsibility in the managing and accounting for the collection fund, monitoring and re-forecasting of council tax, business rates (including City Region Deal and Business Rates Retention Scheme), CIL, S106 and core spending power grants.
We are a modern, progressive authority which has continued to review the way it delivers its services and the Financial Services division takes a holistic approach to the delivery of all finance related services. We have strong joint working arrangements across the West of England and consult on regional devolution, participate in the West of England 100% Business Rates Retention Pilot and act as the accountable body for the City Region Deal business rates pool which is funding £500m of capital investment across the region. We are investing £78 million in our schools and leading on significant infrastructure schemes covering public transport, road, and rail and flood mitigation.
What will you be doing?
- On a daily basis you will lead on forecasting, monitoring and accounting for council Resources including Government grants in core spending power.
- You will lead on forecasting, monitoring and accounting for the Collection Fund (including council tax, City Region Deal and Business Rates Retention Scheme) and liaison with major preceptors, parish preceptors and other local authorities involved in business rates pooling arrangements.
- It will be your responsibility for the management of Housing Benefit subsidy claims and audit arrangements.
- You will prepare and contribute towards formal reports to Cabinet and Committees and act as the principal point of contact for financial support, advice and guidance on the specific service area, including providing information and responding to queries from both internal and external audit.
- In the role you will play an active role in the development and production of the annual budget, Medium Term Financial Plan and Statement of Accounts.
What we need from you
- It is essential that you hold a recognised CCAB qualification (preferably CIPFA).
- We require you that have experience of undertaking analysis and appropriately communicating the results to a selected audience.
- You must be bale to analyse complex data and provide solutions and recommendations to achieve appropriate outcomes and have the ability to communicate this effectively at all levels.
- It is essential that you hold knowledge of current local government finance system and forthcoming changes and knowledge of the Collection Fund and its accounting.
- To be successful in the role you will require excellent time management skills to prioritise and set appropriate
- You must be able to supervise a small team to effectively deliver a quality and costs effective financial service and have the authority and credibility to build relationships and engage successfully with customers and teams.
- It is desirable that you are familiar with Civica
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives, and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
- We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one-way systems, socially distanced workstations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people wholive, work, and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're working with the most vulnerable in our community to help them achieve what they want in life
- We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!