Reading is a great place to live and work. One of the UK’s best-connected locations, benefiting from already exceptional transport links which will only be enhanced when Crossrail arrives. Reading has a thriving economy and a low unemployment rate; the borough offers a vibrant and thriving space for its residents, workers and visitors.
We’ve made the most of this by embracing modern, flexible working styles. We empower our employees to deliver their best, in a way that suits their lifestyle. As such we benefit from a diverse team, many live locally but many are based much further away. We’re happy to consider flexible working patterns for this post and would be comfortable with the role being delivered from home for the majority of the time.
The Council wants to be the best it can be both in terms of delivering for its community but also in terms of how it organises itself. We are seeking an excellent Chief Accountant to help drive and implement the service’s own transformation programme, as well as support the Council’s wider priorities. You will play a key role in delivering effective financial information to key stakeholders throughout the council, and therefore be instrumental in helping to achieve these aims.
As an experienced accountant you will bring a wealth of technical expertise to strengthen the Council’s overall financial control framework. You will have significant experience of local government finance and have a solid track record of delivering the annual Statement of Accounts on time and in accordance with Codes of Practice. You will also have experience in implementing or upgrading financial systems and delivering effective internal control arrangements in line with best practice.
As a skilled and effective people manager, you will motivate, inspire and coach your teams across the technical, financial systems and exchequer areas, generating a strong consensus and building clear pathways for progression. Reporting to the Director of Finance, you will support our strategic aims to ensure the Council is ‘fit for the future’.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities.
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS).
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work.
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax.
For more information on this position please contact Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 29 November 2021.
Interview date: w/c 13 December 2021.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.