Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
This is an exciting time to be a part of the Professional finance team at Milton Keynes Council.. Having concluded our internal restructuring, we are now excited to launch recruitment to the management accountant roles within the team. This is a fast-paced area and no day will be the same! We are looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive, and passionate people who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money and you will be part of a dynamic, energised finance team who are integral to the wider council services. This role will provide lots of opportunities to work with the services to deliver value for money and improve services to the residents of MK. We play a key role in supporting significant procurements, monitoring of large contracts, developing future budgets based on demand analysis and presenting robust business cases for change. You will build relationships with colleagues across MKC as well as external colleagues from other local authorities, government departments and other external partners. We are now looking for two Management Accountants to join the Adult Social Care and Children's Services finance teams. This will be a mainly home-based role, with attendance at the office when required. Applications will be reviewed once received.
- Responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the forecast outturn by challenging managers of complex or volatile budgets to ensure forecasts are robust, the link to the MTFP is understood and support managers to develop mitigating actions to manage any overspends. Develop models to assist with forecast challenge such as social care placement tracking and projections. Prepare service and board reports (or presentations / dashboards where appropriate).
- Provide advice and challenge to service managers and heads of service during the MTFP process, supporting with business cases for pressures and savings proposals and undertaking financial modelling of demand budgets and for contractual inflation. Identify areas for possible savings.
- Ensure compliance of services with Financial Regulations (scheme of delegation, procurement thresholds etc.) and look to improve how we share information with and train service managers on good financial management (such as the content and accessibility of the finance intranet site). Provide positive assurance looking to promptly evidence or escalate issues.
- Provide advice and challenge to project boards, on financial and project governance matters including financial modelling, undertake company financial evaluations ahead of contract award and preparation of all reports and dashboards.
- Ensure accurate submission of grant returns and claims prepared by the team, ensuring evidence and working papers are accurate and clear.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Qualified accountant (CCAB) or in final year (with a commitment to finish) and evidence of appropriate CPD.
- Excellent spreadsheet skills and ability to undertake complex financial modelling using a different data sets and systems (financial, case management etc.).
- Experience of a budget planning cycle, ensuring compliance with governance processes and analysing and reporting on financial issues.
- Be able to explain complicated and technical information in a manner that can be understood by others with different levels of knowledge on the subject using multiple tools; written (preparation of presentations and report writing including cabinet papers), spreadsheets (financial modelling) and deliver presentations and training.
- Inquisitive and challenging with the ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to service challenges within a fast-paced environment.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Working as part of the wider finance team, this role is suitable to be considered for home working, with appropriate ICT equipment provided for the role.
- We have an extensive in-house training programme, both Council wide but also specifically within the finance team
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- Agile working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Flexibility with full time, part time and term time working options
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
- MK Advantage benefits package a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
- A range of other attractive benefits which includes MKC Advantage offering retail, travel and leisure discounts.
- A Relocation package may be available.
- At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
Manager Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 5th December 2021