This role is open to applicants from the UK and Ireland only
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So, if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
The Professional finance team has recently undertaken a restructure to reflect the changing needs of the service. Having concluded our internal restructuring, we are now excited to launch recruitment for several key vacancies within the team. This is a fast-paced area and no day will be the same! We are looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive, and passionate people who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money and you will be part of a dynamic, energised finance team who are integral to the wider council services. The finance team work in close collaboration with all services which allows us to get involved with lots of different projects. Every day is different and provides lots of opportunities to work with the services to deliver value for money and improve services to the residents of MK. We play a key role in supporting significant procurements, monitoring of large contracts, developing future budgets based on demand analysis and presenting robust business cases for change. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with colleagues across MKC as well as external colleagues from other local authorities, government departments and other external partners. The Council has an ambitious regeneration and new build Council house programme and we are now looking for a Housing Project Accountant to support this programme, assess projects for VFM and affordability and provide advice and challenge on the HRA budget areas.
- Financial analysis and challenging forecasts of capital projects and HRA revenue budgets ensuring that they are accurate, and explanations of variations are robust. Challenge and support managers to identify mitigating actions to manage any adverse variations within projects and assess the impact of expenditure variations and slippage on funding sources (timing of receipts, nature of funding source etc.).
- Work with services to develop business cases and project documentation for capital and revenue projects to ensure robust decision making. Responsible for reviewing and challenging the financial appraisal assumptions and ensure this is supported by evidence and test the appraisal against value for money and other assessment criteria.
- Manage the funding of the Housing capital programme; support the service to make claims for additional external grant funding, track the receipt, use of and expiry of retained Right to Buy receipts and ensure the use of borrowing is within funding limits.
- Provide advice and guidance on projects within the Council, participating in project boards, ensuring good project governance. Provide financial advice on procurement and contract related matters (tendering, contract extensions etc.).
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Qualified accountant (CCAB) with relevant post-qualification experience and evidence of ongoing CPD.
- Experience of project management relating to the planning, delivery and reporting of capital projects. Essential, knowledge of and understanding of capital accounting in the context of housing.
- Experience of financial planning, control, and reporting in a complex organisation which should include some experience in working in a public sector organisation or in the housing sector.
- Be able to explain complicated and technical information in a manner that can be understood by others with different levels of knowledge on the subject, including senior stakeholders, using multiple tools; written (preparation of presentations and report writing including cabinet papers), spreadsheets (financial modelling) and deliver presentations.
- Ability to apply innovative and creative thinking to complex service challenges and deliver high quality solutions within a highly pressurised environment.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Working as part of the wider finance team, this role is suitable to be considered for home working, with appropriate ICT equipment provided for the role.
- We have an extensive in-house training programme, both Council wide but also specifically within the finance team.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- Agile working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Flexibility with full time, part time and term time working options
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
- MK Advantage benefits package a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
- A range of other attractive benefits which includes MKC Advantage offering retail, travel and leisure discounts.
- A Relocation package may be available.
- At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
Manager Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 5th December 2021