A Local Authority are urgently looking to recruit an Interim Strategic Rent Accountant
The role will support the Head of Service in the delivery of sound housing financial information on all matters within the directorate and those which cut across directorates.
This role is responsible for the strategic and management information of operational housing charging and reporting functions within the directorate; this includes rent income accounting, collection monitoring and support functions, calculation of rents and administration of other tenant service charges,monitoring of the rents income collection. This post is within the finance function in Housing Management with responsibility for assisting in the production of information to enable the effective control of circa £160m rentalincome.
This role will lead on assisting in the production of the HRA rent setting Cabinet report and provide business partnering and management reporting for the housing management division.
The role will lead on driving up overall collection performance for rent, service charges, garages, ancillary services and water rates consistent with best practice within social housing and will ensure that excellent standards of customer care are maintained at all times.
- CCAB (or equivalent) Qualified Accountant
- Responsible for the development and implementation of a directorate and corporate framework of robust internal control and the delivery of the authority's financial and related systems to ensure secure stewardship and good governance arrangements are in place.
- Ability to communicate effectively complex financial issues to differing audiences within and outside the Council
- Ability to understand and analyse the impact of complex government and regulatory financial frameworks
- Ensure expected standards with regard to revenue income are clearly communicated,understood and observed and that relevant legislation and internal procedures are complied with.
- Understanding of the regulatory and technical frameworks governing the HRA.
- Manage a regular review process to ensure continued effectiveness of controls and standards.
- Understanding of Housing legislation, Housing Law and the Legal Process, particularly in relation to rent recovery issues.
- Oversee the management of the Council's key financial systems, bank and control accounts and accounting records so that regular, comprehensive monitoring and reconciliation takes place to protect the Council from the risk of error or fraud and maximise cash flow, reducing the Council's external borrowing requirements.
- Ability to develop service financial strategies that are technically robust and support delivery of service outcomes.
- Experience of controlling a significant financial accounting system.
- Proven ability to use statistics and other management improvement tools to manage controlled improvements.
- Ability to manage resources, including budgets, effectively but with a critical understanding of the limitations of budgets.