Principal Management/Financial Accountant
Location: Wakefield One, Burton St, Wakefield WF1 2EB
Salary: £43,857 to £46,845, grade 12
Package: A competitive salary, generous annual leave entitlement, access to an occupational pension scheme, a range of employee benefits including; healthcare, public transport and gym memberships discount.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a CCAB qualified accountant looking to work for a forward thinking Council.
We are looking for individuals with significant experience of working in Local Government financial management, who understand the challenges facing the sector, and can contribute effectively to the strategic planning of resources and support the council in its budget setting and decision making processes.
You will possess excellent communication skills and be able to work both independently and as part of a wider team. This role will also involve management of staff, so strong leadership and management skills are also essential.
Key aspects of the role include:
- To contribute actively in the overall management of the Financial Management Service.
- To establish effective working relationships with senior officers of other departments to enable Financial Management Services to play a full and effective role in the corporate working of the authority so that Council objectives can be achieved.
- To co-ordinate with the Group Finance Manager, and liaise with Financial Management and operational managers, on the production of both revenue and capital estimates and Final Accounts, in accordance with statutory and best practice requirements, whilst ensuring auditable systems and procedures are in place to demonstrate adherence to policies.
- To contribute to the development of Financial Management Reporting to ensure the Council has robust monitoring arrangements in place and decision makers have the appropriate level of quality information on which to base judgements.
- To assist the Group Finance Manager to ensure effective management of service resources and budgets. Contribute to the development and improvement of services provided by supporting operational management with regular financial information for analysis, forecasting and strategic planning, and by providing sound financial advice.
- To provide financial advice and support to council projects and initiatives.
- To work with colleague across the council to review service performance through benchmarking activities, ensuring council resources are aligned to priorities and service outcomes are delivering value for money.
- To manage and develop staff through individual performance appraisal in such a way as to encourage innovation.
Closing date: 30 July 2021.
For an informal discussion, please contact Martin Hunter, Group Finance Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mick Wildman, Service Manager - Financial Management at email@example.com
Wakefield Council is wholly committed to ensuring children and vulnerable adults are fully supported and safe. We are dedicated to the safeguarding of all children and vulnerable adults whilst promoting their welfare. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this responsibility.
To apply click on the 'Apply Button'