Luton Borough Council – we move as one team.
We’re proud to make Luton a borough without boundaries. It means every single person works hard to achieve remarkable things.
Luton is a vibrant, ambitious, innovative place to live and work, committed to making powerful changes – not only within the council, but across the whole borough. With excellent transport links, Luton Council owns the fifth biggest and fastest growing major airport in the country, and our company London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL) receives income of around £27 million per year. This valuable source of income supports Council and community projects, not just in Luton but also in surrounding areas.
To help with this and to ensure financial sustainability and improve economic development across the region, they are recruiting two roles including the Senior Accountant (Capital & Technical).
The Senior Accountant (Capital & Technical) reports directly in to the Chief Accountant and plays a key role in monitoring and maximising the Council’s capital resources, and in planning future capital programmes. Key responsibilities include;
- Preparing statement of accounts in accordance with statutory requirements, ensuring presentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Coordinating and preparing accounting to support the Council’s capital programme
- Monitoring capital expenditure and the use of capital resources, and advising the Head of Corporate finance to optimise the Council’s financial position
- Planning and directing the closure of accounts in conjunction with the Chief Accountant
- Providing technical and capital accounting advice to the Council
- Developing and motivating the team, including the supervision of 2 members of staff
To be suitable for the role you need to be fully Qualified, or Part-Qualified with the ability to demonstrate continuing professional development. The successful candidate will also have the ability to demonstrate strong technical expertise, the ability to interpret complex and evolving legislation, and improve and develop the Council’s processes.
Previous experience within a local authority setting is ideal, but applications from those in the wider public sector will be considered.
For more information about Luton, the interview processes and to see the job description please refer to https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/lutoncouncil or contact Matthew Swindell (07921 337 926) or Will Ryan (07789 871 864) at Allen Lane for a confidential conversation.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 26th July, 2021. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.