Luton Borough Council – we move as one team.
We’re proud to make Luton a borough without boundaries. It means every single person works hard to achieve remarkable things.
Luton is a vibrant, ambitious, innovative place to live and work, committed to making powerful changes – not only within the council, but across the whole borough. With excellent transport links, Luton Council owns the fifth biggest and fastest growing major airport in the country, and our company London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL) receives income of around £27 million per year. This valuable source of income supports Council and community projects, not just in Luton but also in surrounding areas.
To help with this and to ensure financial sustainability and improve economic development across the region they are recruiting two roles including the Chief Accountant (Deputy S151).
The Chief Accountant reports directly in to the Service Director (Section 151 Officer) and is responsible for leading and managing the Accountancy division, providing support for decision making across the Council and ensuring the provision of a high quality, effective professional accountancy service. Key responsibilities include;
- Facilitating the coordination and development of medium and long-term strategic financial planning and policy development within Luton Borough Council and London Luton Airport Limited
- Working in collaboration with Councillors, Chief Executive, Directors, and Finance to lead the Council’s preparation of the revenue budget and capital programme
- Establishing influential working relationships with Council officers and members, relevant external agencies and partners
- Playing a key role in formal consultations and service reviews
- Deputising as the Council’s statutory Chief Finance Officer in the absence of the Head of Finance to ensure that proper and effective financial administration is maintained throughout the Council
To be suitable for the role you need to be fully qualified with strong leadership skills and the ability to develop influential relationships at senior level. The successful candidate will have a strong technical skillset and substantial experience managing complex financial systems and procedures.
Previous experience within a local authority setting is ideal, but applications from those in the wider public sector will be considered.
For more information about Luton, the interview processes and to see the job description please refer to allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/lutoncouncil or contact Matthew Swindell (07921 337 926) or Will Ryan (07789 871 864) at Allen Lane for a confidential conversation.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 26th July, 2021. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.