Head of Finance and Corporate Services
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) plays a vital role at the heart of UK life. The wide-ranging work we do includes safeguarding the natural environment, supporting the UK’s world-leading food and farming industries, sustaining a thriving rural economy and leading the engineering of the nation’s defences against natural threats and hazards. Join Defra and you will be part of a department that is responsible for the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe.
The Office for Environmental Protection (OEP) will sit within Defra. As a newly established body that will be focussed on environmental protection and improving the natural environment, this organisation will play a vital role in the UK’s future approach to key issues such as climate change and biodiversity loss – and it is here that you could find the most fascinating challenge. Helping us establish the organisation and build essential finance and corporate support functions, you will:
- Take responsibility for creating the financial policies, processes, systems and controls for the OEP. Working in partnership with Defra and the wider OEP team, you will oversee the smooth transition into the legal establishment of the organisation.
- Embed robust financial management systems and controls. With your remit extending from budgeting, monitoring and forecasting to payroll, reporting and analysis, you will see to it that we are meeting all HM Treasury accounting standards.
- Deliver deep financial insight across the OEP. As such, you will be tasked with producing accurate reports and financial statements, and you will identify emerging issues and risks, plus trends and opportunities. You will also handle funding requirements discussions, and you will provide advice on high priority projects, seeing to it that value-for-money is being achieved.
- Support the establishment of the HR, IT, procurement, supplier management and operational resource functions. Providing line management support to these teams, you will create a culture of flexible working in which staff collaborate across their challenges.
- Take the lead in all financial management relationships with key stakeholders such as HMRC, the Cabinet Office and other government departments.
This is an exciting chance to help us build the organisation from the roots up, and influence how we will work in the future. To be equal to the challenge, you will therefore be a Finance Professional with a CCAB-level qualification and significant experience of managing a large finance function. Well versed in maintaining the general ledger accounting system, processes, controls, budget life cycles and reporting, you will have a successful track record of making recommendations to senior-level leaders and influencing strategic decisions through the production of insightful financial reports. As a results-focussed individual with exceptional leadership and communication skills, you will be capable of leading a multidisciplinary team and you will have a good knowledge of managing public money, business case production and Government Gateways.
We aim to support the professional and personal wellbeing of everyone in Defra. Our benefits include generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, salary sacrifice benefit options, and an employee discount scheme. We also offer flexible working and a variety of learning and development opportunities.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 7th June 2021.