Finance Manager – Children’s Services and Skills Finance Manager
At Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, we’re committed to making the best use of our resources to deliver services to our children across the Borough. This incredible work starts with our teams who are on the frontline, but that work isn’t possible without the support of those working behinds the scenes. And that’s where you come in.
We currently have a vacancy for a Finance Manager to join our Financial Operations division leading our Children’s Services and Skills Finance Team
Finance Manager Responsibilities
Working closely with stakeholders including Members and Directors within the Council and externally with partner agencies, you will occupy a pivotal role between Financial Operations and the Children’s Services and Skills Directorate, providing high level professional, accountancy and financial advisory services.
The Directorate continues to have significant financial implications for the Councils’ 3 year medium-term financial strategy, and you will have a critical role in ensuring they meet and deliver on this challenge to address for future years. You will also have a crucial role on specific projects and programmes, challenging, advising and supporting their financial viability from conception through to delivery.
This is still a critical period for the Children’s Services and Skills Directorate as their service continues to be impacted by the Covid-19 crisis.
As a Finance Manager, your role will be to support the Children’s Services and Skills Directorate, helping them to emerge and recover from the new financial and related challenges that will be the legacy of the pandemic. In particular the current and continuing financial pressure arising from the demand created by a steady increase in the overall number of Looked After Children in the Borough.
Qualities, Experience and Skillset:
- Current full membership of CCAB or CIMA with evidence of continuing professional development with knowledge of working in a public sector environment, you will have previous experience of presenting complex financial information in a straightforward way and in ensuring that the service that you support understand their financial roles and responsibilities in what is an area of financial risk to the Council.
- Advanced financial management and accounting experience alongside negotiation and challenging skills and a business partnering ‘ethos’.
- Significant experience of leading and inspiring a financial team and working closely with other teams to deliver tangible outcomes.
- You will need to thrive in a fast paced, changing environment and draw on your problem-solving expertise, using your knowledge of statutory requirements and legislation to ensure we are meeting all requirements and helping implement new ones as necessary.
- Providing guidance to colleagues in the service and other members of the finance team will be an essential part of the role, and your fantastic written and excellent verbal communication skills will ensure the provision of advice of the highest standards.
- Confident dealing with all levels of the organisation, you will develop excellent internal and external working relationships to ensure an easy exchange of information.
This role is one of a number of key posts which form part of the senior leadership team of the Financial Operations Division, reporting to the Head of Financial Operations with a matrix reporting relationship to the Director of Children’s Services and Skills Directorate.
Initially this post will be home based and Solihull Council are working towards a Smarter Ways of Working model for the future which is predicated on a maximum of 40% of time in the office for collaboration and other ‘face to face’ scenarios.
Voted one of the best places to live in the UK, there’s a lot to offer in Solihull. With a great standard of living plus plenty of social, entertainment and transport options, you’ll have plenty of scope to enjoy this vibrant Midlands town – particularly if you choose to take us up on our flexible working options that include the following:
- Flexible working, including flexi leave up to 24 days per year and agile / remote working arrangements from home/office in accordance with the smarter ways of working model currently being developed;
- The opportunity to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year;
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free, and confidential advice and support service;
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme;
- Staff discount card.
This role will give you plenty of room to really make a difference to the lives of people who live in Solihull, so for an informal discussion about this exciting post, please contact Az Ahmed (Finance Lead – Penna) on 07717 810 481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete online testing week commencing 21st June with those successful at this stage will then be invited to interviews later that week or into week commencing 28th June.
The closing date is Sunday 13th June
If interested in applying please go to the following link:- https://bit.ly/3eAlDnX