Senior Finance Business Partner (Financial Planning & Forecasting)
About the Council
Epping Forest District Council takes its name from the forest which runs from its southern boundary northwards. The district shares boundaries with Greater London and Hertfordshire.
The three main settlements of Buckhurst Hill, Chigwell and Loughton contain more than half the population of approximately 131,000 people but occupy only 5% of the district. The remaining 95% is made up of separate market towns, villages and hamlets in attractive countryside; most of the district is protected as part of the Metropolitan Green Belt, with no less than 25 Designated Conservation Areas.
As well as its rural aspect, Epping Forest has excellent transport links, with the M25 and M11 motorways running through the district and central London is only 30 minutes away through direct access to the Central Line.
It is a great place where people enjoy living, working, learning and leisure.
The Council has ambitious plans and a first-class Finance function is integral to the achievement of those plans. To this end, the Corporate Finance Team is undergoing transformational change, with an overwhelming commitment to customer service and a clear vision to achieve financial sustainability and excellence in all its forms.
About the Role
A great opportunity has arisen for a full-time (36.0 hours per week) Senior Finance Business Partner (Financial Planning & Forecasting) to lead the Financial Planning and Forecasting work cluster within the Corporate Finance Team.
Reporting directly to the Service Head and responsible for leading and line managing up to four staff, the successful candidate will ensure that Service Directors and their Budget Holders receive a first-class financial support service based on sound Business Partnering principles and nationally recognised good practice. This will include:
- Ensuring that annual budgets are accurately prepared, and profiled and based on robust assumptions and sound intelligence.
- Ensuring that budgets are closely monitored, with progress reported monthly, and detailed forecasts prepared on a quarterly basis
- Supporting the Service Head in developing and maintaining a rolling Medium-Term Financial Plan
- Supporting the Principal Accountant and the wider Corporate Finance Team in the delivery of the other key outputs (e.g. the preparation of the annual Statement of Accounts); and
- Providing a professional financial advice and support to Service Directors and other budget holders, to continuously improve Financial Planning and Forecasting processes.
The successful candidate will be a qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA) with significant Management Accounts experience, ideally within Local Government, or the wider public sector.
Staff supervision and people management experience is a requirement and experience of working with, advising and influencing senior officers on financial matters is also required.
A genuine enthusiasm for transformation and excellence is essential.
The Council is firmly committed to professional development and expects the same in new recruits to the Corporate Finance Team. To this end the Council is committed to ensuring that officers appointed to certain posts within the Team achieve the CIPFA Diploma in Finance Business Partnering within two years of appointment. If you already have this qualification, it would be desirable. However, study support would be offered to the right candidate in order to achieve this once appointed.
What we can Offer You
A competitive salary of £48,288 is available.
The Council can offer an excellent working environment through its new “collaborative working” approach, which promotes remote working as well as on site working at our newly refurbished Civic Offices in Epping, which is a modern, high specification workspace.
The Council also offers a range of other benefits including a basic 28 days annual leave in addition to public holidays and access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
If you Would Like to Apply
If you believe you have the appropriate qualifications and experience, the commitment and desire, and what it takes to become a successful member of a leading Finance Team, then please forward an up-to-date copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 26th April 2021
Interviews: 4th – 7th May 2021