Principal Accountant – Capital
7 days left
- Full Time
Are you a Finance professional with a strong Capital Accounting background seeking a new opportunity?
We're seeing increased demands for the management of specific capital projects within our Capital Programme and are seeking a Principal Capital Accountant on a permanent basis to help us support the capital objectives of our services.
You will provide strategic financial management advice and support, ensuring that internal and external capital financial resources are allocated, managed and utilised to best effect, and our capital objectives are achieved. Working directly with our Heads of Service and their management teams, you will work on a range of capital projects that have strategic effect on the Council's services, and be able to advise senior managers on financial and capital aspects of procurement processes and tenders. This might include the interpretation of contracts and scoring mechanisms, as well as understanding alternative delivery models and business planning.
For more information about the role, please don't hesitate to contact Esther Thorpe, Head of Capital & Technical Accounting, on 01392 383457 for an informal discussion.
As an experienced Capital Accountant with prior involvement in major capital projects, you will:
- Have a sound understanding of project funding, including capital grant agreements and developer contributions
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be an effective communicator
- Be confident in interpreting, analysing and explaining complex financial data to senior management
- Possess excellent organisation skills, with an ability to prioritise conflicting workloads to meet deadlines
- Excellent IT skills are essential for this role, and you will ideally have working knowledge of public sector accounting practice. We'd encourage you to read the attached job description and person specification thoroughly.
What we can offer you
Aside from a competitve salary, there are a number of reasons why a role with Devon County Council would be a great next step in your career:
- At least 21 days annual leave per year, plus Bank Holidays and two statutory days at Christmas - rising with length of service
- Membership of the generous career average Local Government Pension Scheme (more information here)
- Flexible working opportunities, including home-working, subject to the demands of the role
- Discounts at local and national retailers through the Devon Discounts scheme
To apply and for further information please follow: https://www.devonjobs.gov.uk/finance-accounting-treasurers-principal-accountant-capital/70842.job
Devon County Council is based in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, whether you like the sea, the countryside or the city, Devon is the place for you. Find out more about life in Devon on our Working for Devon website.
Under normal circumstances this role would be office-based at County Hall in Exeter. However, home-working may apply depending on the COVID-19 guidelines and corporate policy in effect at the time.
Closing date: 06 December 2020