Luton Borough Council – we move as one team.
We’re proud to make Luton a borough without boundaries. It means every single person works hard to achieve remarkable things.
Luton is a vibrant, ambitious, innovative place to live and work, committed to making powerful changes – not only within the council, but across the whole borough. With excellent transport links, Luton Council owns the fifth biggest and fastest growing major airport in the country, and our company London Luton Airport Ltd (LLAL) receives income of around £27 million per year. This valuable source of income supports Council and community projects, not just in Luton but also in surrounding areas.
To help with this and to ensure financial sustainability and improve economic development across the region they are recruiting four roles including the Principal Accountant.
The Principal Accountant reports to the Finance Business Partner, and is responsible for leading and coordinating the provision of high quality, customer-focussed accountancy and financial management for the Services. Key responsibilities include;
- Leading and coordinating budget monitoring of revenue, capital, and balance sheet accounts
- Leading and coordinating the preparation of revenue accounts and capital estimates, ensuring all targets and criteria are met within timetables
- Leading the preparation of all revenue, capital, and balance sheet accounts
- Managing the process for finding departmental savings
- Providing expert advice, support and challenges to budget holders, Senior Manager, Chief Officers and Members with quality financial information, continuously reviewing the provision of advice to stakeholders
- Undertaking specialist project work within the Services
- Deputising for the Finance Business Partner as required
To be suitable for the role you need to be fully Qualified, or Part-Qualified with the ability to demonstrate continuing professional development. The successful candidate will have experience providing high quality strategic advice, and the ability to develop influential relationships at senior level.
Previous experience within a local authority setting is ideal, but applications from those in the wider public sector will be considered.
For more information about Luton, the interview processes and to see the job description please contact Matthew Swindell (07921 337 926) or Will Ryan (07789 871 864) at Allen Lane for a confidential conversation.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter using the link provided by Monday 5th October, 2020. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages and should include why you are interested in the position and why you believe you are suitable.