Financial Business Specialist
7 days left
- Full Time
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the global development network of the United Nations system that is on the ground in 177 countries, with its Headquarters in New York, USA. UNDP’s Bureau for Management Services (BMS) is a central Bureau tasked with the development of corporate strategies, policies, tools and systems in key cross-cutting management areas. Drawing on sound analytics and a risk-management approach, BMS supports the achievement of development results through management advice, innovative business solutions, and other corporate services in line with international best practices and evolving needs and expectations of development partners. BMS also ensures policy adherence in operations management within UN Rules & Regulations, safeguarding UNDP’s accountability vis-à-vis Member States and other stakeholders.
The Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM) performs a pivotal role within BMS and within UNDP’s global finance function, partnering with Bureaux and Country Offices. The primary role of OFRM is to maintain the financial integrity of UNDP through providing financial leadership, supporting the efficient and effective management of its financial resources, promoting financial sustainability and responsible resource allocation in the context of a fluctuating funding environment. This is accomplished by the development and implementation of sound financial policies and practices, oversight of corporate financial management performance, and flexible scalable support to resource allocation. OFRM is a key source of information for the Executive Board, General Assembly, to Partners and wider civil society. It supports transparency through the provision of on time and quality statutory and other financial reports that comply with international standards and regulatory guidelines.
This post is part of OFRM's Financial Business Partnering Division that provides global business partnering services, including closely monitoring and supporting the financial performance of the Regional Bureaux, Central Bureaux and other HQ Units, and Country Offices. The Financial Business Specialist reports to the Chief of the Business Advisory Team, a high performing team providing business partnering services.
The team is the first point of contact for the Regional Bureaux, Central Bureaux and senior Country Offices finance staff and HQ units seeking advice, guidance and related services on complex financial issues, in particular relating to the financial dimension of project and programme management. The services provided includes policy advice, financial management training, internal control and business process advice, financial planning support, report and query management, and resources management. In addition, the Financial Business Specialist plays a lead role in monitoring the financial performance of the Bureaux and offices in support of OFRM’s responsibilities for corporate oversight, and provides inputs and ideas for innovation. In doing so, develops constructive relationships with clients to understand the reasons for strong/weak performance and develops strategies, in close consultation with clients to help them improve.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent is responsible for monitoring country offices, Regional Bureau and Central Bureau financial performance, increasing levels of competence at learning events, providing technical financial management advice/accounting and guidance, promote fact-based management and undertaking appropriate oversight and control in support of OFRM’s responsibilities for corporate oversight. This requires the incumbent to:
- Monitor the performance of the country offices, Regional Bureau and Central Bureaux accounting and financial functions by ensuring more effective identification of problems in the general accounting area and initiating, independently, actions to support their addressing the concerns both in country offices and HQ; provides risk-based monitoring services, including inputs to periodic financial reviews and conducting CO scans;
- Advise country offices, Regional Bureau and Central bureau on options available and decisions to be made regarding optimal utilization and management of their financial resources, and support quarterly and year-end closure process and certification.
- Review country offices’, Regional Bureau and HQ units financial resource management data in accordance with the Work Plan in order to proactively advise on decisions to be made and corrective action to be taken to ensure adherence to UNDP’s financial and resource management policies, procedures and SOPs.
- Provide assistance to country offices, Regional Bureau and HQ units in the interpretation and implementation of UNDP’s financial and resource management guidelines, ensuring improved financial performance in terms of control, speed of response and data accuracy.
- Provide inputs to the technical clearance for the recruitment of senior finance staff in bureau and CO through involvement in the recruitment process and provision of recommendations for all senior finance related posts and periodic feedback on senior finance performance evaluation.
- Support the Regional and Central Bureau Finance Business Partners in the exercise of their oversight responsibilities, through support to review of the financial management and accounting activities related to resources mobilized for programming, budget/expenditure management, the interpretation and/or application of accounting policy and related financial management procedures.
- Increase levels of competence at country offices, Regional Bureau and HQ units level through coordination of formal training and other learning events at country and regional level hence improving financial performance in terms of control and improving data accuracy and reliability;
- Provide expert technical assistance and related services to countries and team members on the complex matters and increase capability at country offices, regional bureau and central bureau;
- Coordinate fact-based approach to management using reports and ATLAS (ERP) based queries and increasing knowledge of and ability to use Atlas data;
- Support OFRMs monitoring of country offices, Regional Bureau and HQ units by drafting analysis reports using a wide range of financial and other relevant data, contributing to the assessment and rating of their financial performance
- Coordinates within OFRM, cross cutting advisory requests from Regional Bureaux and Central Bureaux
- Participate in other strategic initiatives within OFRM.
Impact of Results
The improvement of the quality of Regional Bureaux and Central Bureaux performance is key to the future of UNDP Finance activities. The result of a successful performance will be a significant improvement in the financial management performance of Regional Bureaux and Central Bureaux, and thus in the level of work at the GSSC and in the Head Office.
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values. Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability. Displays integrity in conducting his/her work;
Management and Leadership
- Ability to establish and spread best practices amongst the potential users. Ability to identify priority activities and adjust priorities as required. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, thus enabling a client-oriented environment. Ability to effectively manage human and financial resources – results oriented. Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Must be able to manage a multi level team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern;
- Demonstrated team leadership capability – staff development and motivation a priority consideration;
- Proven skills and ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommend solutions
- Remains calm whilst working effectively in stressful situations, show motivation and pursue continuous personal development and learning. Must be able to work as part of a multi level team of diverse nationalities to respond quickly to areas of concern. Developing and maintaining strong and productive business relationships with Country Offices, Bureau management and with other clients in the UN system, UNDP HQ etc.
- Proven ability to write in clear and concise manner and to orally communicate effectively;
- Ask questions to clarify situations and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with the Financial Regulations and Rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
- Identifies issues in a complex situation, gathers relevant information before making decisions. Able to assess in discussions the capabilities of country level staff and determine where and how improvement needs to take place
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on UNDP. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP practice areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP;
- Provides constructive coaching, feedback and capacity building.
- Knowledge of UNDP Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Able to assess risks and correctly analyze the likelihood of them occurring. Able to then prioritize action to the risks with the biggest business impact
- Understanding of the working of ERP. Thorough professional and technical knowledge of ATLAS Modules
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Strong understanding of regulatory frameworks and instruments
- Strong financial management and accounting skills
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment;
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of management support software applications.
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance, Accounting or a professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Those with professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant and progressive professional experience in providing financial management advisory services, business partnering and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Previous experience working with country staff in order to be able to benchmark capabilities.
- Working understanding of strategic service delivery at the country-office level, managing and oversight of internal office operations. Experience at the CO level is desirable.
- Familiar with the complexity of client relationships among international organisations national governments and civil society.
- Detailed knowledge and experience complying with IFRS or IPSAS.
- Experience of using the ERP systems, Peoplesoft preferred.
- Experience in training small groups and in coaching individuals.
- Written and spoken fluency in English. Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage, particularly Spanish or French.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.