G12 Principal Management/Financial Accountant
An exciting opportunity has arising for a CCAB qualified accountant looking to work for a forward thinking Council.
We are looking for individuals with significant experience of working in Local Government financial management, who understand the challenges facing the sector and can contribute effectively to the strategic planning of resources and support the council through its Transformation Programme.
The successful applicant will possess excellent communication skills and be able to work both independently and as part of a wider team. This role will also involve management of staff so strong leadership and management skills are also essential.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Providing financial advice and support to council projects and initiatives including the Transformation Programme as required.
- Working with colleague across the council to review service performance through benchmarking activities, ensuring council resources are aligned to priorities and service outcomes are delivering value for money.
- Development of Financial Management Reporting to ensure the Council has robust monitoring arrangements in place and decision makers have the appropriate level of quality information on which to base judgements.
- Development of Financial Procedure Rules, ensuring strong control of and the appropriate use of Council resources.
- Support strategic financial management through contributing to the Councils Medium Term Financial Planning, including assessing the potential implications of government proposals for the future funding of Local Government and working with colleagues to establish financial challenges and opportunities.
- Coordination of the annual budget process in conjunction with the Group Finance Manager; establishing timelines, providing guidance and processes in order to support accountancy colleagues preparation of revenue budgets in a timely manner.
- Support the production of the Final Accounts in accordance with statutory and best practice requirements, whilst ensuring auditable systems and procedures are in place to demonstrate adherence to policies.
- Providing support and guidance to Strategic Finance Team colleagues in managing and monitoring the Councils Collection Fund, including estimating future growth and determining appropriate provisions to cover appeals and bad debt risk.
- Managing and develop staff through individual performance appraisal in such a way as to encourage innovation.
- Working with other members of the Strategic Finance Team to ensure the accurate and timely provision of statutory returns to Central Government including RA, RO, and NNDR forms.
For an informal discussion please contact Martin Hunter, Group Finance Manager on 01924 306992 or Mick Wildman, Service Manager - Financial Management on 01977 725437
Closing date: 31 May 2019