Commercial and Finance Director (senior Financial Accountant)
Contribute to the effective leadership of the Pension Fund helping to maintain its focus on strategy through rigorous analysis and challenge. Ensuring the outsourcing finance function is effective as well as monitoring the financial benefits on the partnership and understanding the financial risks and liabilities that may impact on the Pension Fund. Working with key decision makers within the partnership to develop strong and constructive relationships.
Leading on the development and execution of the medium term financial strategy for the Pension Fund and be responsible for the delivery of the LPFA accounts and annual report supported by robust and thorough financial reporting and auditing processes.
- Accountability for the proactive monitoring of financial performance of LPFA, liaising with senior stakeholders.
- Lead responsibility for the development and implementation of financial strategy to support the running of the LPFA as an administering authority of a Local Government Pension Scheme. Ensuring that the strategy is subject to regular review and monitoring.
- Responsible for the provision of financial accounts requirements in relation to pension fund under the CIPFA Code of Practice and the Local Government Pension Scheme regulations.
- Work closely with actuarial advisors and decision makers and stakeholders to support the MD on establish a funding strategy that ensures financial stability of the fund.
- Ensure that the LPFA Board receive information that is clear, accurate and timely to enable them to make decisions on strategy development and the funding plan/budget.
Be able to provide clear, authoritative impartial professional advice and objective financial analysis and interpretation of complex situations.
- Work with LPP Employer Risk and LPFA employers on deficits and recovery plans to include valuation, rates and securities.
- Lead relationship management with external auditors ensuring arrangements meet the needs of the LPFA and deliver good value for money.
- Lead relationship management with the internal auditors ensuring the function is effective and supports the role of the Audit and Risk Committee (ARC).
- Review draft Board papers for all financial matters relating to LPFA and provide written comments in time for internal review and Board deadlines.
- Oversight and lead accountability for LPFA Financial reporting ensuring that all reporting requirements are delivered for LPFA management in a professional, transparent and compliant manner. Keeping up to date with reporting changes and guidance and communicating content to Board members in comprehensible manner.
- Ensure that appropriate management accounting systems, functions and controls are in place at the outsource provider so that finances are kept under review on a regular basis.
- Support the chair of the Audit and Risk committee (ARC) by managing the ARC interaction process.
- Represent the LPFA through attendance the SLT (Society of London Treasurers) and GLA sponsored Group Investment Syndicate meetings, deputise for the MD and other functions as required.
- Review and recommend approval or otherwise of outsourcer and supplier additional work requests.
- Oversee all financial responsibilities as set out the in The Shareholders Agreement relating to the financial position of the outsourcer, including corporate structure, cost and financial management, and budget approval.
The post holder will need to demonstrate:
- Excellent relationship management skills and experience of managing and liaising with an outsourced provider and multiple stakeholders, particularly senior ones.
- Highly developed analytical skills with the ability to present arguments to support and/or challenge a proposal.
- Effective communication skills including the ability to influence and build good working relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A proactive, self-motivated team player who can manage a high personal workload with multiple deadlines and continually strive for improvements in quality, efficiency and presentation.
- The ability to understand and support the LPFA’s and public-Sector commitment to combat discrimination and promote equality of opportunity.
- Ability to present complex financial information to LPFA Board, stakeholders and members and employers as appropriate.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree educated and a member of and accounting body recognised by the international Federation of Accountants (IFA).
- CIPFA knowledge and understanding
- 5 years working experience within a local government or financial services finance department preferable in pension scheme financial management.
- Good understanding of financial systems and financial accounting structures.
- Experience of working with external auditors, actuaries and outsourced service providers.
- Good level of business numerical, analytical and report writing skills including a working knowledge of MS office tools to assist in the communication of key messages and to facilitate discussions and decision making.
Reasonable adjustment will be made to working arrangements to accommodate a person with a disability who otherwise would be prevented from undertaking the work.