Head of Finance
Your new organisation: The Avon and Somerset force is a large employer in the South West and is made up of over 5000 Police Officers, staff and volunteers. It is structured into eight policing and enabling services directorates which form the backbone to its effective operation.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary is positioned to provide an exciting career. It’s transforming and you’ll contribute to the journey. It has a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force striving to provide outstanding policing for everyone. If you’re looking for a fresh challenge which offers variety and a genuine opportunity to broaden your experience and make a difference, come and join us in the Finance and Business Services Directorate.
Your new role: This is a senior leadership role and your contribution will play a pivotal part in our continued progress and will bring finance ‘alive’ to drive value based decision making across the organisation. You will directly influence the financial performance and challenges through the provision of expert advice and information, operating a Finance Business Partner Model that will take a forward-looking and commercial approach to resource planning.
- Develop the Constabulary's Medium Term Financial Plan, co-ordinate the input from multiple internal and external sources and ensuring alignment into the Constabulary's key strategies and the PCC's Police and Crime Plan.
- Lead on the production of annual financial statements for both the Chief Constable and the PCC, manage multiple internal and external sources of information and ensure that the presentation of the accounts remains compliant with latest statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Manage and develop the monitoring and reporting of financial performance throughout the year, ensuring that this is supplemented through the provision of analysis and insight that enables senior leaders and stakeholders to make sound decisions.
- Manage and develop finance policies and procedural guidance, and ensure continued adherence to standing orders and financial regulations so as to maintain a sound system of financial control across the Constabulary.
- Manage and develop the monitoring and reporting of workforce data throughout the year, ensuring accurate pay forecasting so as to support senior leaders and stakeholders to make sound decisions.
- Liaise with internal and external bodies (including auditors) to agree action plans, monitor compliance and promote best practice.
- Manage the department effectively and provide leadership.
- Ensure that the department identifies and evaluates opportunities for innovation and improvement.
- Manage, build and sustain effective teams and collaborative working with colleagues and stakeholders within and beyond the department.
- Ensure the preparation and delivery of high quality assurance and other reports to internal and external bodies as required.
What you'll need to succeed:
You will need to be CCAB Qualified with significant post qualification accountancy experience.
- Educated to degree level or a significant level of relevant experience of equivalence. Have held a management role in a relevant setting of commensurate responsibility.
- Have a track record of successful people management, accountability for effective performance management and management of budgets and resources.
- Experience of implementing successful development, change and innovation.
- Ability to effectively lead, manage, develop and support teams of people and specialist functions.
- Ability to communicate and influence effectively
- The post holder should ideally hold a full current driving licence or be able to travel around the force using alternative transport. Please note: Vetting will be required for the successful applicant
What you'll get in return:
Avon and Somerset offer a unique, stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to make a real difference to the community. In addition you will benefit from:
- Generous annual leave – 26 to 32 days per annum depending on length of service.
- Career development opportunities – offered throughout your career.
- Financial wellbeing - childcare voucher scheme, group insurance scheme.
- Free parking – available at some sites.
- Health & wellbeing support – range of options.
- Lifestyle benefits - discounts on various activities as well as a cycle to work scheme.
- Support associations and networks - range of options.
- Police Staff Insurance Scheme for accident and illness cover.
- Maternity and paternity benefits.
- Highly attractive pension scheme - Avon & Somerset offer membership to the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
Please apply by sending us a copy of your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to be considered for the role to email@example.com
Closing Date: 17/12/18
Notify Candidates of Interview: 19/12/18
Interview Dates: 3rd and 4th January 2019