Assistant Director – Finance
6 days left
- Full Time
Are you ready to develop and lead the Finance strategy for West Midlands Police?
Do you have the knowledge and experience of transforming and managing a Finance function in a large organisation?
Are you ready for an exciting and challenging new role?
West Midlands Police are seeking an Assistant Director of Finance, which is a brand-new opportunity based in central Birmingham and offered on a permanent full-time basis.
West Midlands Police (WMP) is the second largest police force in England serving c2.8m people. We have a track record of delivering both innovative and cost-efficient service improvements. We will continue this transformational journey against a backdrop of uncertain future funding; but with the exciting opportunities of hosting the City of Culture 2021 and the Commonwealth Games in 2022 within the West Midlands Region.
The Finance function has a key role to play in supporting front line policing in delivering this and with your expertise, commitment and dedication, you’ll thrive in this senior role and help to realise our ambitions whilst promoting the force’s values.
About the role:
Reporting to the Director of Commercial Services, the Assistant Director of Finance will have a high degree of independence and is expected to position and integrate the Finance function across the wider organisation and be able to determine a deliverable finance strategy over the medium term ensuring that our finances are effectively aligned with the priorities and ambition of the force.
You will be responsible for supporting the annual setting of the Force’s c£550m revenue budget, the capital programme and providing regular monitoring information to senior stakeholders.
You will also be responsible to deliver an efficient and effective Finance function to agreed standards in line with legal, statutory and other regulations, professional guidance and best practice. You will undertake the role and responsibilities of the Deputy Section 151 Officer (cf. Local Government Act 1072; Section 114 of the Local Government Finance Act) for both the PCC and the Chief Constable, responsible for the proper administration of their financial affairs.
You will be a CCAB qualified accountant with significant experience of operating at a senior level within a similar organisation. You will have knowledge of our financial environment and be aware of the current and future challenges we will face. You will have demonstrable leadership ability and exceptional communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
You will be able to demonstrate your knowledge and experience of:
- Leading a Finance function in a fast-moving complex business environment;
- Working with senior leaders and successfully delivering organisation wide Financial Strategy;
- Supporting, coaching and influencing senior Executives and business leaders;
- Identifying and implementing initiatives, to improve current and future performance of the organisation and the Finance function;
- Delivering high quality, customer focussed services;
- Contribution to major transformation and building teams at a time of change;
- Leading, developing and motivating departments/teams;
- Effective negotiation with a wide range of internal and external executives.
WMP is a large and diverse organisation where you can develop your skills, knowledge and career in an encouraging and flexible environment. We're able to offer you a comprehensive range of rewards and benefits including:
- 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays); increasing to 33 days after five years’ service;
- access to a Corporate Health Care Plan and wellbeing website;
- an agile modern working environment in central Birmingham;
- eligible for the Senior Management Car Lease Scheme.
- the option to join the Local Government pension scheme
Are you ready to take your next step and join us?
If yes, we'd like to hear from you.
Please note that closing date is (midnight) 17 December 2018 with interviews to take place w/c 7 Jan (we have dates booked for 7 Jan, 9 Jan and 11 Jan 2019)
To request a copy of the full role profile please contact Sanja Williams, HR Business Partner, email@example.com. If you would like to discuss this role further please contact Neil Chamberlain, Director of Commercial Services -firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this position, please click here.
Diversity and Inclusion Vision: “Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities”
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.