The role of the Finance team is changing. As the council continues its journey towards financial self-sustainability there is an increasing need to deliver effective budget management and provide strong financial support and vision. With tighter budgets and increasing commercial activity, we are looking to fill key roles that will help shape and deliver the financial expertise required for the council to thrive.
Reporting to the Management Accountant, the role will support in delivering financial management support to the Place directorate – including Regeneration; Property & Development; Planning, Transportation & Public Protection; and Economic Development as well as a number of large scale capital projects. This is FTC contract.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with the Management Accountant in the completion of accurate and thorough budgets
- Working closely with budget holders to monitor service budgets and ensure the early identification of budget variances so that the appropriate remedial action may be taken
- Assisting in closing the accounts including the preparation of year-end accrual schedules
- Supporting and preparing activity based analysis
- Supporting the development of income analysis and commercial budget management
As the ideal candidate you will:
- Have knowledge of Local Government finance, professional accounting requirements and experience of supporting budget holders
- Have experience in financial planning and budgetary control including a working knowledge of forecasting techniques
- Be able to form relationships across a range of stakeholders
- Have the ability to take complex financial information and present it appropriate to a range of audiences
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels both verbally and in writing
In return for your commitment, Thurrock offers an excellent benefit package. For more details, https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/council-terms-and-conditions-of-employment/employment-benefits
Interviews will be held on Thursday 10th January and Monday 14th January.
Please be aware that Thurrock Council are undertaking a pay review which will affect the grading of this vacancy – full details will be provided at conditional offer stage to the preferred candidate.
Our vision – An ambitious and collaborative community which is proud of its heritage and excited by its diverse opportunities and future.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural Skills. We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent intu Lakeside, and breath-taking countryside all around. There is over 1,000 acres of land ready for commercial development and there are likely to be 30,000 new homes built with transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
We are an area of massive growth; £6bn has already been invested by the private sector in Thurrock. We have seen 7,000 new jobs created, with a further 30,000 anticipated in the next 20 years, and 1,170 new businesses in the borough, with leading centres in ports and logistics, retail and creative industries.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited organisation and committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
How to Apply
Please apply online by clicking Apply. Please note, we do not accept CVs. If you have any difficulties in submitting an application form please email email@example.com.