1 day left
- Full Time
Local government funding and financial sustainability are increasingly high profile and under increasing scrutiny from parliament, the National Audit Office, local government and the media. The Local Government Finance Directorate in the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is responsible for the funding and financial sustainability of local government– working with other departments across Whitehall to help to ensure that local authorities have the funding and accountability to deliver effectively for their communities, and overseeing the framework of business rates and council tax.
The local government accounting and financial framework sit at the heart of this and we are looking for an experienced accountant to lead our work in this area and on financial risk in the sector. The is a leadership role in an area which receives significant scrutiny from ministers and senior officials, and you will be representing the directorate within the department, across Whitehall and local authorities.
We are looking for someone who combines a really strong technical grasp with strategic awareness, leadership skills, an ability to build productive relationships with a range of stakeholders across central Government and the local authority sector and advise with impact. This role is particularly suited to someone with a background in, or good knowledge of, risk management and assurance frameworks. The role provides an excellent opportunity for someone looking to make the move from accounting / audit to policy delivery.
- Leading a team to provide a source of policy and technical expertise on local government finance accounting – including providing advice to support policy development across a range of local government finance issues and the administration of the local government finance framework;
- Leading the directorate’s work on borrowing and investment – evaluating the implementation of recent changes to the investment framework, keeping the framework under review to ensure it remains current and risk is appropriately managed, leading on responding to local authority requests for financial flexibilities such as capitalisation (managing one grade 7 and an SEO);
- Ensuring the local government accounting framework remains current and reflects emerging challenges and priorities.
- Representing the interests of the department across Whitehall and with the sector – including representing the department at HMT and CIPFA-chaired panels, building relationships with the sector, CIPFA and the NAO; and
- Leading the directorate’s work on financial risk – inputting into wider policy development on local government sustainability, leading the directorate’s work to understand financial risk and develop appropriate analytical tools (managing one grade 7).
- Qualified finance professional, with professional experience in public sector, and knowledge / experience of audit;
- Demonstrable ability to manage fast-paced working and competing priorities; and
- Experienced manager.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Seeing the big picture
- Delivering at pace
- Leading and communicating
- Making effective decisions
- Collaborating and partnering