Senior Accountant - Investments and Borrowing
We’re looking for a confident and enthusiastic individual with a numerical mind to be a senior manager working to support the Hampshire Pension Fund and deliver treasury management for the County Council and its partners. This is an exciting time to join the County Council which has a successful track record of delivering savings while maintaining strong performance and positioning ourselves nationally as a major provider of shared public services. The County Council has taken a progressive approach to managing its investments, increasing its diversification and improving returns that have contributed to the Council’s savings targets
Hampshire is one of the largest Local Government Pension Funds, with assets of over £7 billion, and you will have a key role in supporting the governance of the Fund and managing service providers.
You will get exposure to a wide variety of stakeholders including the Pension Fund’s investment managers and consultants, banks and other financial institutions, colleagues in other pension funds we work in partnership with, as well as senior managers within the Council, its elected members and other organisations that we deliver services to. You will need to develop these relationship to ensure that the services are delivered and received to a high standard. You’ll need good accounting knowledge, IT skills, be CIPFA qualified (or equivalent), have excellent communication and negotiation skills. Initiative and a self-starting approach, and the ability to prioritise a demanding workload are vital for this role. An understanding of financial services and investments would be an advantageous but is not essential, but the commitment to develop personally and professionally through continuous training and development is vital. The benefits of working with us
Adopting leading edge digital practice combined with a skilled and competent workforce are key aspects of the Council's strategy to future-proof its services. We are keen to develop our staff, providing all necessary training, and as a large, diverse organisation can offer many opportunities for career progression for the right candidate. The salary range for this role is £46,225 - £52,024 depending on your level of experience and you meeting your performance targets. You would have the opportunity to join the local government pension scheme, and be entitled to 26 days annual leave per annum plus bank holidays. In addition, there is a wider benefits package at Hampshire County Council that includes flexible working hours, family friendly policies, interest free travel loans and discounts, and employee support.
To ensure the delivery of effective and efficient financial services to departments of the County Council, its partners and other external organisations. Able to carry out the strategic financial analysis and interpretation required to enable them to deliver short and long term business goals. This requires assessment of risk and change impacting different services / areas of business, and a proactive approach to ensure the best use of resources.
CCAB qualified accountant (preferably CIPFA), with significant post-qualification experience (e.g. five years), with a track record of innovative approaches to problem solving and supporting/implementing change.
Specific experience of/ability to:
- Demonstrate strategic awareness of key accounting functions (e.g. budget preparation, budget monitoring and
- year end accounts).
- Ability to balance strategic and bigger picture thinking whilst giving appropriate attention to detail.
- Preparation of reports to a high standard for public issue and consideration by members.
- Significant staff management experience, in particular with regard to performance management, motivation of
- staff, identifying training/ personal development needs, and providing training and coaching to support staff to
- achieve these (e.g. developing technical / financial expertise).
- Strong and effective negotiation, influencing, communication and networking skills, able to translate complex
- information into simple formats.
- Good problem solver, who can think analytically, is creative and innovative, and able to apply these skills to
- support financial decision making
- Experience of leading and managing change, continuously seeking to improve the performance of team
- members, and supporting customers to implement change programmes.
- Manage complex and demanding work loads, usually to tight deadlines, and able to successfully prioritise
- resources to achieve business objectives.
- Good understanding of, and a commitment to provide, a customer focused financial service.
- Must be prepared to work more than standard working week if necessary.
Office environment, but maybe some requirement for travel.
Contact details for an informal discussion:
Please contact Andrew Boutflower, Deputy Investmens and Borrowing Manager on 01962 847407
Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all employees, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.
Corporate Equalities Employment Policy:, In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to any for achieving equality of opportunity in its employment practices. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of their gender, disability, age, ethnic or national origin, marital status, creed, sexuality, trade union activity or responsibility for dependants unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification (GOQ) applies. In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to which would have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group.