The Greater London Authority (GLA) is looking to recruit a highly motivated qualified or part qualified accountant to join its Group Finance Team as a Financial Analyst.
Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst the post holder will play a key role in supporting the development of the Mayor of London’s £16 billion annual capital and revenue budget and capital strategy for the GLA Group which includes the GLA and London Assembly; Transport for London; the Metropolitan Police; the London Fire Brigade; the Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation; and the London Legacy Development Corporation which manages Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
You will also undertake work as directed to support a number of initiatives with significant strategic corporate financial implications for the GLA including: liaising with London boroughs, the Corporation of London and London Councils to forecast, maximise and account for retained business rates and council tax income; the funding and financing of major projects such as Crossrail 1, Crossrail 2 and the Northern Line extension to Battersea Power Station, the preparation and maintenance of the GLA’s medium term financial plan, the development of the Royal Docks Enterprise Zone; and the impact of wider changes in the funding and financing of local authorities including Government Spending and Fair Funding reviews.
Other responsibilities will include the preparation of GLA Group statistical revenue and capital returns sent to Government and supporting the wider work of the London Economic Action Partnership.
This position would suit someone with an interest in local authority strategic and corporate finance issues, who enjoys researching and keeping up to date with developments in local government finance and funding and is capable of assessing the implications for both the GLA Group and London Government more generally.
You will need to demonstrate that they have:
- an understanding of the revenue and capital budgeting process in a local authority setting
- a working knowledge of local government finance, funding and accounting including business rates retention and council tax;
- the ability to research and interpret complex data and information and present the findings in a clear and understandable format;
- the ability to contribute proactively to the preparation and consolidation of the Mayor’s revenue budget including the setting of the council tax precept and the development of the GLA Group capital spending plan and capital strategy;
- a high level of numeracy and a detailed focus with a concern for accuracy; and
- advanced skills in using spreadsheets and word processing packages including experience in preparing financial models.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We would welcome applications from candidates who are seeking part time work as this role is open to job share.
In addition to a good salary package, we offer an attractive range of benefits including 30 days’ annual leave, interest free season ticket loan, interest free bicycle loan, childcare voucher scheme and a career average pension scheme.
If you have a question about the role or the recruitment process then please contact a member of the recruitment team via email on email@example.com quoting reference GLA3039.
Application closing date: Wednesday 7 November 2018 at 23:59 GMT.
Interview date: Monday 26 to Wednesday 28 November 2018.
London's diversity is its biggest asset and we strive to ensure our workforce reflects London's diversity at all levels. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.