Head of Financial Reporting - Maynooth University - Dublin
Reporting directly to the Bursar, the Head of Financial Reporting has direct line responsibility for the University’s financial accounting and reporting function and is a member of the Senior Management team responsible for the setting and delivery of the university’s financial strategy. The post holder leads and manages a team of qualified accountants and oversees university financial policies, tax compliance and external financial reporting obligations.
Key Accountabilities Of The Role Will Be To
- Deliver the annual audited Consolidated Financial Statements, management letter and financial related internal audit reports to the Audit & Risk Assessment Committee and ultimately Governing Authority in accordance with agreed deadlines;
- Plan and co-ordinate the external audit engagement with the Comptroller & Auditor General and the cycle of internal audits (carried out by an external audit firm);
- Participate in management decision-making for the Finance Office through weekly finance executive meetings;
- Manage and support a team of three qualified accountants and assist in resolving issues to meet agreed objectives and milestones;
- Provide leadership and direction to the accounting team and the finance department on technical accounting treatments of transactions as they arise;
- Monitor the university financial control environment through monthly balance sheet control account review, reconciliation and approval;
- Draft and guide university financial policies through the approval process;
- Monitor and enhance tax compliance controls and oversee tax related decisions to ensure university compliance with all Revenue guidelines and taxes legislation;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and the Head of Financial Planning to review the monthly management accounts and to ensure actions are being consistently addressed;
- Oversee reporting to external stakeholders including the provision of responses for financial information requests through parliamentary questions, FOI requests and other government departments/regulatory authorities;
- Identify new regulations and standards together with emerging best practice that impacts the university’s reporting obligations;
- Represent the university at Irish Universities Association finance managers group and subgroups where appropriate.