Risk and Claims Officer
At Bayside Council, we are committed to a positive, flexible and supportive workplace culture, where our people and customers feel respected and valued. We are proud to serve our community through operating with transparency, integrity and in the best interests of the Bayside community to deliver exceptional service.
Purpose of the role
The City Performance directorate underpins the delivery of service excellence by providing expertise in financial services, governance and business technology.
You will provide assistance with the continued implementation and operation of the enterprise risk management framework to minimise exposure to a wide range of risks in line with legislative and standards compliance requirements.
The role is responsible to identify, analyse, address and report on risks across Council, and to coordinate Council's insurable risks (except workers compensation and motor vehicles), including claims and insurance management.
Within the area of responsibility, this role is required to:
- Assist to continually improve Council's enterprise risk management framework and to identify both risks and opportunities in line with contemporary best practice.
- Review and recommend improvements to framework elements such as policy, strategy, processes, communications, reporting and other change initiatives to support a broader enterprise risk management approach across Council.
- Collate and analyse data to facilitate and coordinate the identification of risks and opportunities and to support 'risk owners' to assess risks and opportunities and develop appropriate strategies.
- Maintain and update Council's Corporate Risk Register to capture and report on identified risks, strategies and outcomes, and contribute to regular reporting including for insurable risks and claims.
- Monitor and review insurance programs and premiums (excluding workers compensation and motor vehicles) and provide specialist assistance and advice to managers and other staff in relation to risks, claims and related policies and procedures.
- Provide case management in relation to assigned portfolio of insurance related claims to achieve the required outcomes for Council stakeholders.
- Coordinate and deal with claims on Council from external parties, the processing of premium payments and for all Council's insurance claims with its insurer.
- Provide communications and training to raise staff awareness on enterprise risk management issues and responsibilities.
- Coordinate and arrange secretariat services for Council's Internal Risk Management Committee.
- Advise and assist the Internal Auditor with risks and assessment functions associated with Internal Audit assignments.
- Act as risk owner for Council's Business Continuity Plan.
- Promote the positive and collaborative culture and values of the organisation through open, fair and transparent decision making and ethical, professional behaviour.
- Work in collaboration with and assist the team, manager and other key stakeholders to achieve business unit goals, work requests, demands and Council priorities.
- Tertiary or other qualifications and/or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- Current Driver's Licence Class C.
What can we offer you?
As an employer, Bayside Council offers a flexible and family-friendly working environment supported by a generous and tangible reward and recognition program with ongoing training and development opportunities.
Prior to commencing your application a job description can be obtained from Council website at www.bayside.nsw.gov.au.
Your application should include an up-to-date resume (max 5 pages) and a covering letter (max 3 pages), outlining how your skills and experience are relevant to the position and meet the focus competencies, key accountabilities and key challenges of the role.
When addressing the focus competencies, key accountabilities and key challenges for the role, it is essential you give an illustration of how you meet these – it is not sufficient to merely indicate what you have done – we are more interested in "how" you have demonstrated these requirements, what results were achieved, using an evidence-based approach.