Croydon is a distinctive and diverse place and is London's most populated borough. Croydon is about to undergo the biggest development and regeneration programme since the 1960s with £3bn of investment flowing into the borough over the next five years, building a positive future for residents and businesses alike. The council are passionate about the value of public services and has the customer at the heart of what we do. It brings together 75 services including council, Met Police, NHS, Jobcentre Plus, Croydon Credit Union and Citizens Advice Bureau under one roof, allowing us all to work together as one team. This makes now an exciting time to join our team delivering vital services to over 360,000 residents.
Working with the London Borough of Croydon the council are bringing their payroll team back in house in July 2018 and are looking to appoint an experienced payroll professional. The job will manage 6 people and will manage the council’s payroll operation service for approximately 3000 employees and 7000 pensioners. It will be critical to manage operations so that the transition is as smooth as possible.
Key responsibilities will include
- Managing the operations to ensure timely and accurate delivery of the payroll
- Ensuring that correct and timely payments reports and returns are made to HMRC, occupational pension schemes and other statutory bodies
- Managing the payroll team members ensuring performance appraisals are conducted and learning and development needs are identified and appropriate training is delivered
- Identifying and communicating the payroll implications of current and proposed legislation and determine the most appropriate method of implementing changes.
- Monitoring business processes to ensure that they are operating both efficiently and effectively.
- Working collaboratively with key stakeholders in Human Resources, Finance and Pensions on any initiatives impacting payroll
- Monitoring team expenditure against budget
You will be a highly experienced Payroll Manager and will ideally be a member of the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals (CIPP). Whilst experience of working in the public sector is a distinct advantage you may have worked in another large complex environment. As well as having strong operational experience you will have had significant experience of developing management information systems and will be committed to developing an effective team with the clear vision of delivering a first class service. Experience of Oracle EBS would be a distinct advantage but not essential.