Interim Closure of Accounts Lead
A london Brough currently have a need for an Interim Closure of Accounts Lead.This role will be In-Scope ofr IR35 purposes and will interview immediately for a Jan start
Main Purpose of role
To lead, inspire and develop Finance and Resource planning ensuring the effective management planning and management of the Council’s financial resources
To provide specialist advice and support on financial strategy and planning to the organisation as part of the Finance & Corporate Services Leadership Team.
To work with the Director and Departmental Finance teams to provide an effective financial closure of accounts, encompassing DSG, HRA capital and all revenue accounts.
To lead in advising the Council on technical accounting and financial reporting issues.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- CCAB Qualified – with extensive Local Government leading on Closure of Accounts experience
- To understand and be involved in the development of the strategic direction of the organisation.
- To work collaboratively with the Heads of Finance, Revenues and Benefits lead, Head of Procurement, Analyst, Finance Operations, Chief Internal Auditor and the Head of Treasury to ensure Departments get financial support and information as required to close the accounts and produce the financial statements.
- To develop an in depth knowledge of accounting practices and keep abreast of current developments and problems ensuring that Finance & Corporate Services support the Council’s needs.
- To work in partnership to assist with strategic budget, resource modelling capacity planning preparation so that services can be maintained and developed with particular reference to reserves management.
- Ensure the preparation of the departmental annual accounts and all other statutory returns in accordance with accounting standards and within the agreed corporate timetable and proactively contribute to and monitor the effectiveness of the Council’s financial assurance framework. Actively contribute to the development and delivery of the Council’s MTFS and ‘own’ the Council’s Financial Regulations.
- Ensure the preparation and oversight of the corporate revenue budgets (known as the “below the line” items) to ensure effective processes for the production of the Statement of Accounts purposes.
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of the Council’s main financial ledger, Agresso.
- Develop expert knowledge, strong leadership and high quality relationships in specified, assigned areas of responsibility. This may include:
- Departmental specifics
- Schools and Housing including Rent Accounts
- Council Tax, Revenues and Benefits
- Tax Advice
- Local Land Charges
- Cash Management
- Financial Assessments & Customer Financial Affairs
- Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and other transactional areas.
- Commercial and trading activities
- Cross cutting projects
- External networks
- Lead on the management of the annual closing of accounts process and ensure that the Council’s statement of accounts is prepared in accordance with accounting standards and meets the statutory publication timetable.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of tax, accounting and financial reporting rules and regulations as they apply to local authorities and published by HMRC and CIPFA. Ensure any changes in legislation and best practice are communicated to relevant stakeholders (e.g. Heads of Finance, Technical Finance, and Finance Managers). Assist in advising the Council on accounting, tax and financial reporting matters and in accordance with appropriate accounting and financial standards.
- Liaise with the Council’s external auditor to ensure so far as possible that the Council’s accounts are published and audited in accordance with CIPFA Code and statutory requirements.