Senior Research Accountant - Institute of Cancer Research
Senior Research Accountant – Institute of Cancer Research
This is an exciting opportunity to help the ICR’s world-leading cancer research scientists to manage and grow the funding for their work.
Our senior Research Accountants provide a financial management service to Research Team Leaders to support them in the management of their external research funding, including funding from research grants, external funding for studentships and fellowships, and collaborations with NHS and Industrial Partners.
This will include the provision of critical management information and advice to Heads of Division and Research Team leaders on externally funded activities, supporting them to deliver fully costed grant applications, and meet the requirements of the ICR and of external funders in the application and reporting of these funds.
The Senior Research Accountants will also help improve processes and ways of working within the Research Finance team, to drive efficiency and maximise impact of our work.
The role reports into the Head of Research Finance.
- To provide financial information and analysis to research teams on their grants, and proactively work with budget holders to assist them in the management and utilisation of their external funding.
- To provide and review grant applications costing. This will involve supporting research team leaders in ensuring that they meet ICR policies around research governance and overhead recovery.
- Undertake the regular review and reconciliation of external grant income and expenditure, taking proactive corrective action where required to ensure financial terms and conditions compliance.
- Complete external funding body financial reports and returns in line with funder requirements.
- Ensure that grant income and expenditure budgets are loaded on timely basis for awards, in line with the specific award lifecycle, and any virements are processed in line with funder restrictions.
- Ongoing review and correction of grant income and expenditure actuals and accruals, including checking monthly financial statements prior to circulation to budget holders.
- To work with budget holders to ensure grant reporting meets their requirements and to work on the development of reporting if deemed necessary.
- At least part-qualified in CCAB qualification
- A significant interest in and commitment to accounting work within a scientific research environment
- Ability to communicate complex financial information to non finance staff
- Use of computer and accounting packages including Microsoft Office including intermediate / advanced excel
- Experience of process improvement, implementation of new procedures and development of financial analysis
- It would be preferable if you had experience of management accounting in a research grant funding environment
This is an exciting time to join the ICR finance team and be involved in pioneering work. For more details on this role please visit our microsite – https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/icrfinance or get in touch with Tim Salmon – Timsalmon@allenlane.co.uk / 02030319634