Principal Case Officers – State aid
In March 2018 the Government announced its intention that as part of the arrangements for the UK to leave the EU, the CMA will take over the European Commission's State aid approval and enforcement function with respect to aid given by the UK government or UK public authorities. To that end, the CMA is establishing a new State aid group, responsible for all State aid work including casework, development of policy and guidance, annual reporting and engaging with key stakeholders such as the European Commission, BEIS and other Government departments and the Devolved Administrations.
We now seek Principal Case Officers with a track record of undertaking work related to State aid, competition or in a related policy field; or as a competition lawyer, economist, financial analyst or adviser with experience of delivering complex cases.
Principal Case Officers are important roles which carry responsibility and autonomy in assisting in the delivery and assessment of State aid casework as well as wider work of the State aid group. Post holders are likely to work closely with Project Directors and Assistant Project Directors who will provide oversight, guidance and support.
Core requirements for these key roles within our new team include:
- Experience of work in an area requiring legal, economic, commercial or policy expertise combined with a demonstrable potential and willingness to acquire at speed a detailed knowledge of State aid regulation.
- Excellent project management, and planning skills including the ability to successfully organise and prioritise work to meet expected work standards and deadlines.
- Experience of successfully delivering projects working within multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results within challenging timeframes with limited resources.
- Ability to undertake complex analytical work including experience of gathering, analysing and managing evidence and complex information from a variety of sources and presenting information to a wide audience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to draft a range of documents including technical reports and documents for publication, for a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience of developing and influencing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including senior decision makers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience of working collaboratively as part of a team and the ability to work manage and coach colleagues.
NB. With the State Aid Group being newly established, we also have vacancies as Assistant Project Directors within the Group. Should you wish to be considered for both roles, please submit a separate application via our web site.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is one of the world's top competition and consumer agencies. With markets changing fast and the UK leaving the EU, we are undergoing rapid business expansion, presenting new opportunities, including the establishment of a new State aid group. This is an exciting time to join us.
The CMA offers an excellent benefit package to new employees. CMA staff enjoy generous benefits, including:
• An excellent pension scheme
• 25 days leave (increasing to 30 days over five years)
• Favourable consideration of flexible working
• Generous maternity/paternity leave provision
• Interest-free season ticket loans
• Cycle to work schemes
• Employee wellbeing programme
To find out more about this opportunity and about working for the CMA, please click on the APPLY button.
Closing date for applications: 8 October 2018
The CMA are an equal opportunities employer and we recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.