Director of Resources
What are we looking for?
The Ascension Island Government is looking for a Director of Resources to lead our Resources directorate from July 2018. You will report to the FCO-appointed Administrator, have overall responsibility for circa 60 staff in different teams and play a central role in day-to-day government operations.
This is a unique opportunity to influence how we work and to tackle some unique challenges on a small British Overseas Territory. You will need to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders on the island and deliver the highest standard of customer service. You will need to be a self-starter, resilient and able to live and work in a remote island community whilst remaining enthusiastic in the face of the challenges that this brings.
Some of the key activities you will need to work on include:
- Managing the government’s annual operating budget of roughly £7-8m, a capital budget of £1m plus an additional £5m capital over 2 financial years to fund improvements to the island’s infrastructure.
- Overseeing improvements to our HR function, including the implementation of a self-service HR model for staff.
- Advising and negotiating with island stakeholders on a sustainable, long term model of financing government operations beyond 2020/21.
- Working with elected members and island stakeholders to reform existing employment legislation.
To be successful, you will be a qualified finance professional with a proven track record in managing public finances, demonstrating excellent communication skills and managing multi-disciplinary teams, including HR, ICT and facilities. You should have experience at senior management level, ideally within a local authority or similarly complex organisation, whilst also being able to demonstrate a ‘can-do’ attitude to get things done in a busy and inclusive office. Successful experience of building effective and productive working relationships, both internally and externally, with a diverse range of senior stakeholders is also essential.
What are we offering?
This post is offered as a two year fixed term contract with a salary of £50,000 per annum (taxable in Ascension Island), together with the following benefits:
- A food allowance dependent on status (either £3,088 if single or £6,176 if accompanied).
- One mid-contract return journey to the country of recruitment/residence.
- Rent-free housing, with electricity and water allowances.
- A fully expensed government car available for personal use out of hours.
- Relocation costs for your personal effects.
- Free primary medical and dental care.
- A gratuity payable on the successful completion of a 2 year contract.
How to apply:
Please apply online by visiting www.ascension-island.gov.ac/working-here.
Closing date for applications: Friday 30 March 2018.
Interviews will be held via Skype in week commencing 9 April 2018. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to complete a short task prior to interview between 6 and 8 April which you may need to set time aside to complete. Further details will be provided to shortlisted candidates in due course.
Need more information?
Please refer to the job description for further information about the role. If you would like to learn more or to arrange an informal discussion about the role or living on Ascension Island, please contact the current Director of Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.