Interim Senior Accountant
The main purpose of this post is;
•To prepare, analyse and monitor budgets with service managers;
•To analyse and present financial information to assist decision-making, and for the purposes of fina
Main duties and responsibilities
- To maintain an awareness of budgeting techniques and accounting principles and best practice, and apply this knowledge to budget preparation, monitoring and financial analysis work.
- To work with service managers to prepare accurate, robust and prudent budgets for income and expenditure in accordance with corporate guidance and in line with the council’s budget timetable.
- To ensure that budgeting and monitoring reports reflect an accurate and prudent financial position for the services concerned, taking into account all of the relevant cost and income drivers, and associated risks.
- To analyse and present financial information to agreed standards and timescales
- for the purposes of business planning, business cases, capital programming, decision making, pricing etc
- to inform procurement and contract management
- for the purposes of grant claims, returns to central government and other agencies
- for SLAs, shared services, internal trading and recharges
- for financial accounting in accordance with the council’s timetable for the closing of accounts
- or for any other purpose as determined by the Principal Accountant, Service Financial Adviser, Head of Accountancy or Assistant Director.
- To undertake such other duties of a comparable nature elsewhere in the organisation as may be required to facilitate management development and service flexibility.
- Any other duties as requested by the Service Financial Adviser or Head of Accountancy
Qualifications and Experience
- Full professional membership of CIPFA or equivalent (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Experience of complex budgeting and monitoring processes and financial analysis for a diverse range of different activities, including trading functions
- Experience of advising and / or training managers on financial issues
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of local government finance, accounting practice and the regulatory framework
- Good understanding local authority expenditure, income and funding for a range of services, and the associated pressures and risks
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Understanding of the role of support services
- Understanding of the principles of value for money
- Understanding of ways in which the council’s policy of equality in employment and service provision can be reflected in all aspects of work of the team
If you would like to know more about this role, please contact Haben on firstname.lastname@example.org