Finance Business Partner
This role assists with the provision of a professional accountancy service, working closely with the Business Accountant as a flexible member of the strategic finance team so as to ensure that the Accountancy function fulfils the Council's statutory, corporate and internal operational requirements. This covers Capital Financial Management and/or Management Accounting providing support to the Corporate Accountant. The role supports the business partnering services internally to AVDC, supporting them with business success focussed advice, management information, guidance and challenge to ensure that the business as usual and new initiatives include financial considerations and due regard to the aim for sound financial governance. All of the above with the aim of support the customer and enhancing the financial performance culture and management decision making. The role also will assist in the development and review of financial systems so that a modern and forward looking financial system is developed. This includes processes and procedures so that accounting integrity is maintained and all financial information objectives are achieved to the satisfaction of customer and statutory requirements. It will also provide support and guidance to junior staff and to delegate appropriately to those staff both to ensure that tasks are carried out at the appropriate level and also to develop experience and skills in others.
- The Council has a set of defined principles, policies and procedures and the jobholder will work within this policy/procedural framework under a degree of managerial control.
- Given objectives and resources jobholders at this level are expected to ‘get on with the job’ with minimal supervision. Management is generally by reviewing end results on a regular basis.
- The jobholder will have considerable latitude to deviate from established procedures and practices in order to deliver a commercial customer focused service. They will be expected to organise their own workload around customer needs and commercial priorities.
- Jobholders will be expected to develop and support initiatives to improve customer service, develop/improve service delivery and seek profitable commercial and market opportunities.
Role Specific Skills/Knowledge
- CCAB part qualified or equivalent experience
- Evidence of the ability to think strategically in a financial environment
- Significant financial management experience
- Experience in use of financial decision making techniques ( business cases, option appraisal, investment appraisal)
- Experience of procedures and applications relating to financial control and information systems and reporting including ability to generate custom reporting
- A working knowledge of financial practices, including the SORP (Statement of Recommended Practice), UKGAPP and IFRS relating to final accounts and revenue budgeting is required
- Knowledge and awareness of new initiatives in local government financial management.
- Experience in implementing best practice Financial Controls and procedures
- Financial Management experience over a number of budget cycles
- Microsoft Excel skills to a high level
- Good Influencing skills with senior stakeholders over financial issues
- Ensure that the work and role focus supports AVDC’s vision for the Vale and its commercial strategy, by delivering cost effective solutions, profitable products and services, with the customer at the heart.
- Act in a commercially minded way in accordance with the council’s behavioural framework and encourage colleagues to behave in this way, challenging inappropriate behaviour where applicable.
- Comply with the council’s policies, procedures and Governance frameworks including those relating to Customer Care, Financial Management, Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding, Information Security, Resilience, Health and Safety
- To endeavour to meet the individual needs of customers and other staff and not to treat anyone less favourably on the grounds of race, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy/maternity, religion or belief marriage and civil partnership