Ensemble Pour La Difference - Finance and Operations Manager
Ensemble Pour La Difference was set up in 2014 by Mike Beeston, a successful British entrepreneur, and Patrick Byamungu, a Congolese journalist and businessman, in Bukavu, in the south-east of the country. Ensemble aims to aid sustainable development by providing financial, business and technology support to social businesses operating there. It has a team in DRC that ensures that this support is effectively deployed, and that monitors and evaluates the performance of the businesses.
Ensemble UK is a registered charity that aims to establish a sustainable model for economic and social progress in the Eastern Congo, facilitating loans, grants and practical support to social businesses in the region. DRC is one of the poorest countries on earth, and the challenging environment has resulted in far lower levels of international support in building the economy and strengthening people’s resolve for a peaceful future than in many other developing countries. We have three years of experience of providing hugely impactful support to businesses in DRC, and set up Ensemble UK this year to raise additional funds for our work. We are now starting to build a small team to support this effort.
Ensemble UK is looking for a proactive and driven Finance and Operations Manager to join the organisation at this exciting time, to provide high quality support during the establishment of the UK charity and ensure the continued growth and success of Ensemble Pour La Difference.
Reporting into the CEO (Mike Beeston), and with a close working relationship with the Treasurer (Nigel Langstaff), the Finance and Operations Manager is a wide-ranging role, which will provide exposure to all aspects of financial management. It represents a fantastic opportunity for someone with intelligence, drive and versatility to shape the development and future of Ensemble, and to make a real difference in the world.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Producing monthly management accounts, leading the annual budget process and producing rolling forecasts for Ensemble UK and the consolidated Ensemble group;
- Analysis of loans issued and of the performance of the businesses that receive them;
- Assisting in the production of longer-term strategic and financial plans;
- Producing statutory accounts, VAT returns, Gift Aid, liaising with external auditors;
- Ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of the financial systems and processes, continuously driving forward improvements;
- Communicating complex financial information to stakeholders;
- Building rapport with a range of finance and non-finance people both in DRC and the in Europe;
- Management of board meetings;
- Co-ordinating with the fundraising manager, including tracking performance against target, and supporting fundraising applications and follow-on reporting.
The successful candidate must be a professionally qualified accountant with a desire to make a significant contribution to changing the fortunes of the people of DRC. You will be self motivated with a strong sense of initiative and robust technical skills gained in the Charity, Commercial or wider Public Sector. You will have a strong sense of commercial acumen and an analytical mind-set. You will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish good relationships across a wide range of people both in the UK and internationally.
Application closing: Sunday, 14th January 2018
Shortlisting: w/c 22nd January 2018
First stage interviews: w/c 29th January 2018
Second stage interviews: w/c 12th February 2018
For more information or an informal conversation, please contact Bryony Feeney at Allen Lane by sending your CV and supporting statement via the link. An early application is highly recommended.