Head of Research Finance - Institute of Cancer Research
Head of Research Finance – Institute of Cancer Research
This is a unique opportunity to help the ICR's research leadership team meet its strategic objectives to grow, diversify and improve how it manages external research funding. The Head of Research Finance will manage a comprehensive pre and post award research finance service to scientific budget holders and senior management. This includes oversight of the financial administration of scientific grants, providing leadership, coaching and guidance to a team of 8 grant accounting staff.
You will work closely with research team leaders to ensure we make best use of grant funding, and comply with the requirements of our funders. You will also will work closely with colleagues in the Research Support Unit and Research Operations, and build strong relationships with the Institute’s main funders.
You will make a significant contribution to the ongoing development and improvement of the ICR’s award management processes, with responsibility for key areas of the research costing and pricing system, and finance system.
To succeed, you must be a professionally qualified accountant with strong technical skills, an analytical approach and significant experience dealing with senior stakeholders. You will be a proven team leader, with significant experience of research and/ or grant finance.
The role will report into the Deputy Director of Finance.
Requirements for the role:
- Educated to degree level and be a fully qualified accountant (ACA/CIMA/ACCA).
- Effective communication skills both written, oral and presentational within all levels of the organisation.
- Significant relevant experience of Research and/ or grant finance.
- Experience of identifying and implementing improvements around financial and/ or grant processes
- Substantial experience of presentation of financial information in spreadsheets and other forms.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to assist in negotiations with budget holders and grant funding bodies.
- Effective coaching and supervisory skills, able to motivate and get the most of staff.
This is an exciting time to join the ICR finance team and be involved in pioneering work. For more details on this role please visit our microsite –https://allenlanerecruitment.wixsite.com/icrfinance or get in touch with Tim Salmon – Timsalmon@allenlane.co.uk / 02030319634