Located in the beautiful East Kent coast that stretches from Folkestone through Hythe and down to the Dungeness peninsula. Our district also encompasses the North Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Romney Marsh.
Folkestone is a thriving and ambitious community with a vibrant feel around the Creative Quarter Folkestone and the recently opened Harbour Arm. A major seafront development is set to bring further jobs and homes to the area.
Shepway District Council is going through a time of exciting transformation and regeneration. Our finance service is modernising to adapt to an ever-evolving digital age, but it remains at the heart of our huge development projects. We are now looking for an ambitious, aspiring individual to shape the direction of our finance service. It is a rare chance to develop your skills in a high-profile, career-defining role.
Reporting into the Head of Finance, the Chief Accountant will support the Chief Finance Officer in ensuring that their statutory, regulatory and profession obligations are met with regard to maintaining effective financial administration and stewardship for the Council and associated organisations. You will also provide professional advice to Members and to service management on the financial implications of current and proposed service delivery activities.
Fully CCAB accredited, your experience will be defined by your background in local government as a highly competent financial manager, providing high-quality, customer-focused services. As a strong and credible individual, you will carry real gravitas amongst senior management and members, and be eager to deliver our ambitious agendas. With excellent interpersonal skills, you will manage an ambitious finance team – inspiring trust and instilling confidence in your colleagues. As a result, you will have the chance to have a real impact on our financial future and continue our transformation.
Skills & experience:
- Extensive experience of providing professional advice to senior stakeholders and to service management in a local authority on the financial implications of current and proposed service delivery activities.
- Taking action to ensure that financial reporting is accurate, relevant and timely to support effective decision-making and meet statutory responsibilities.
- Ensuring that financial record-keeping arrangements are managed in line with legislation, the council’s Constitution and current professional standards.
- Leading the development and review of key financial strategies, returns and plans
- Leading, developing and motivating staff.
- You will be fully CCAB accredited with up to date CPD.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity please review www.shepwayrecruitment.co.uk If you would also like a confidential discussion about the role, please call our retained Penna consultant:
Haben Solomon 0203 715 3316