Vat & Systems Accountant
- Full Time
JOB TITLE: Accountant-Systems & VAT
SALARY & BENEFITS:£30,153-£32,486 & excellent benefits
WORKING HOURS: Full time, Permanent
Our client is a high-performing, financially viable local authority delivering first-rate services that improve health and opportunity for local people and protect the most vulnerable. Together with its partners, it will help make Luton a place where everyone can learn and thrive and where business can grow and prosper.
THE ROLE: Accountant-Systems & VAT, Luton, Bedfordshire
The post holder is the Council’s key expert on VAT and as such is required to develop and maintain a high level of technical knowledge on the subject. This will involve building networks with equivalent post holders at other Local Authorities, researching and attending relevant courses. The post holder will also provide support to the Finance Manager to maintain the Council’s financial systems and will need to develop an understanding of the systems used.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Accountant-Systems & VAT, Luton, Bedfordshire
• Complete the Council’s VAT return on a monthly basis, ensuring that the VAT owed to the council is promptly reimbursed by HMRC
• Liaise with HMRC and the Council’s VAT advisors, managers and others on all aspects of VAT, and represent the Council at regional and national VAT groups
• Provide detailed advice on VAT, checking current practice, and evaluating, analysing and making recommendations on the impact of changes in VAT rules and regulations so as to minimise risks to the Council
• Estimate, monitor and provide advice on the Council’s VAT partial exemption position
• Assist with maintaining and developing the integrity of the General Ledger finance system, reconciling the General Ledger records to those of the feeder systems, investigating discrepancies and generating improved financial reporting systems
• Assist with controlling access to and the security of the financial suite
• Day to Day responsibility for the Assistant Accountant and Finance Assistant in the absence of the Finance Manager
The duties and responsibilities as outlined above give an indication of what is expected in the post. However, these may be subject to some variation as the Finance function evolves in line with the changing structure of the Council.
A flexible, innovative approach is an essential requirement of the post holder together with the willingness to respond constructively to challenge and opportunity
KEY CRITERIA- Accountant-Systems & VAT, Luton, Bedfordshire
• Accountancy/financial experience at an advisory level and on complex issues(In depth knowledge of accountancy principles and practice)
• Working knowledge of or ability to quickly assimilate current and changing VAT regulations
• Part qualified CCAB Accountant (CIMA, CIPFA, ACCA or equivalent) or significant relevant demonstrable accounting experience
• Demonstrable experience of undertaking and leading project based assignments
• Experience of using IT based financial management systems (preferably Authority Financials) and the use of large spreadsheets (Microsoft Office).
• Able to persuade, influence and professionally advise others at senior level, on complex financial issues
• Able to visit establishments and attend meetings anywhere in Borough
• Able to work outside normal office hours on an occasional basis.
• Previous experience of dealing with VAT Accounting in the public sector.
• Some evidence of supervisory experience
Does this sound like you?
If yes, then please hit the “Apply Now” button.