Senior Commercial Development Manager
Health and high quality care for all, now and for future generations
NHS England leads the National Health Service (NHS) in England. We set the priorities and direction of the NHS and encourage and inform the national debate to improve health and care.
Our mission is good health and high quality care for all, now and for future generations. Our vision is that everyone has greater control of their health and their wellbeing, supported to live longer, healthier lives by high quality health and care services that are compassionate, inclusive and constantly-improving. Our purpose is to create the culture and conditions for health and care services and staff to deliver the highest standard of care and ensure that valuable public resources are used effectively to get the best outcomes for individuals, communities and society for now and for future generations. Our values are enshrined in the NHS Constitution underpin all that we do:
- Respect to the quality of care
- Improving lives
- Working together for patients
- Everyone counts
NHS England Specialised Commissioning is expanding its current commercial team as part of the Medicines Value Programme with the aim of using commercial and commissioning innovation to secure greater health gain for the NHS in specialised care and more widely for secondary care prescribed tariff-excluded high cost medicines. NHS England will aim to realise opportunities for more sophisticated and innovative commercial agreements for promising medicines and securing greater cost effectiveness and affordability such as outcome-based payments and other alternative payment models as well as using alternative contracting methods. Innovation is critical to enabling NHS England to achieve the ambitions set out in its mandate, to ramp up the pace and scale of change, and deliver better outcomes for patients in England. The commercial function of the Medicines Value Programme negotiates with pharma companies and we are developing our commercial engine to boost our negotiation capabilities.
Reporting into the Negotiating Principal, you will work as part of a dynamic commercial team and lead on the planning of the negotiations and the rest of the transaction cycle on market access and pricing of high-cost drugs with pharmaceutical companies and manage these accounts under our portfolio. Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the planning of negotiations with pharmaceutical companies to ensure that NHS England are achieving their commercial goals;
- Drafting contracts and writing documents which summarise the transaction and managing the commercial aspects of the contracts;
- Project manage the entire transaction including assembling the expanded team with relevant stakeholders, setting up the initial engagement, manage the preparation towards to negotiations, agreement drafting, and manage its associated communication.
- Participating in the negotiations, summarising discussions, planning the next steps and ensuring the progress is made to achieve goals;
- Managing the accounts of pharmaceutical companies by acting as the first point of communication and being able to promote our agenda by communicating effectively messages and becoming a relationship manager to support our efforts of getting better deals and promote innovative commercial models;
- Developing new planning tools to successfully manage your portfolio of accounts.
Successful applicants will be educated to a masters level or have equivalent experience of working at a senior level in a specialist area. You will ideally come from a Pharmaceutical or Medtech industry, the NHS or Management Consulting with experience of managing accounts, transaction planning and management, and negotiation in a commercial environment. You will have excellent communication and account management skills, being able to translate complex concepts to relevant stakeholders and take on difficult conversations and negotiations where necessary. Applicants will also be strategic thinkers and quick learners who can deliver results at pace and respond to sudden unexpected demands. Finally, you will demonstrate an understanding and awareness of the current healthcare policies and their implications.
Please send your CV and supporting statement to Charlotte Smith from Allen Lane on email@example.com.
NHS England values and respects the diversity of its employees, and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including an invitation to the first stage of the selection process and consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability.