Head of Finances x2
CIPFA/Penna is proud to represent Brent Council in their search for two Head of Finances posts. Reporting to the CFO the Head of Finance posts will provide high-quality financial accounting, strategic management accounting, budgeting and financial planning and commercial advice to a department or function within the council. One of these posts will include line management of team staff.
Brent is a tremendously vibrant London borough where the iconic arch of Wembley Stadium dominates the skyline. Spanning both inner and outer London, it is a borough of huge contrasts in terms of its economic, environmental, ethnic and social make up. Brent’s diversity is evident to all who visit our borough and our long history of ethnic and cultural diversity has created a place that is truly unique and valued by those who live and work here.
Heads of Finance at Brent are part of the Council's core senior managers' group, and have the opportunity to deputise for the statutory chief finance officer. The role requires a highly skilled blend of technical, leadership and influencing skills across a broad strategic agenda, and post holders are expected to take responsibility for key activities such as:
- Managing a small team of finance professionals, leading by example through ongoing and proactive engagement with senior line managers and Directors across the organisation.
- Managing and monitoring all financial flows, ensuring that effective internal control, governance and compliance is in place, with all external obligations being met.
- Provide added value analysis and insight to line managers and Directors on all aspects of the group’s financial performance, with clear recommendations for improvement.
- Project manage the implementation of new financial initiatives, working collaboratively across relevant functional areas within the business
- CCAB qualified or CIPFA with strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills. Personal integrity and obvious gravitas are required and you will be a strong relationship builder.
- You will ideally have been a key contributor and driver in an organisation which has undergone significant business transformation with demonstrable success in working collaboratively and proactively with senior line managers and key stakeholders to improve an organisation’s financial performance
- You will be highly proactive with a detail-conscious approach, with strong commercial acumen. A willingness to constructively challenge and question assumptions, underpinned by a solutions-focused style is important.
- Analytical thinking, influencing skills and enthusiastic with a can do attitude are all a must.